12: Yes ma'am

A/N: 1k reads!? Woah! I know that isn't much compared to many larger creators, but I appreciate it more than I could possibly express! Thank you guys so much!

Since hearing Steve's confirmation on Bucky's feelings, you just couldn't shake the thought of that damn Winter Soldier fo the rest of the day. 

It was now the early hours of the morning and you were still wide awake- debating what to do. On one hand, you could confess your feelings, but that's scary, and you aren't necessarily brushed up on how to love. Or, take the seemingly easier road, and allow this dumb crush to fizzle out. 

You must've fallen asleep in the midst of thinking, because you were now clutching you sheets, gasping for air, and drenched in sweat. 

"Y/n? Yn!" You heard, accompanied by a banging on the door. 

You were trying to find any words, any form of communication to respond with. 

After what felt like an eternity of violently hyperventilating, the door burst open. A very distraught Bucky raced to your bed. 

"Talk to me, doll. You gotta breathe." He spoke, kneeling beside your bed, holding your hand. 

You took a moment to compose yourself and were finally able to force words. 

"I-I just had a nightmare." You managed to quiver out. 

His face dropped with sympathy as he moved himself onto the bed. "Can I?" He asked. 

"Sure." You whispered. 

"Come here." He said, motioning for you to snuggle close. 

You crawled next to him and formed a ball. A sense of peace came over you. 

"Y'know, I get how it feels. I get those a lot." He whispered. 

"Figured...nice accent by the way." You said, teasing for the sound of 40's Brooklyn coming through in his voice. 

You felt his chest bounce as he chuckled. "Yea, it tends to slip out when I'm tired." 

"Sorry to wake you up, by the way." You said, remembering that he probably has too many sleepless nights already. 

"Pshhhhh, don't apologize. Can't leave my best girl panicking this late at night."

Your facial expressions betrayed you as you felt your lips tug into a smile. "Best girl, huh?"

"Apparently I also lose my filter and gain my old charm when I'm tired too." You weren't looking when he said this, but you could tell he was smiling. 

"Well, your best girl isn't necessarily complaining." you flirted. 

"But she is still shaking a little, so what was that nightmare about?" 

You sighed, looking for where to begin. "Just old memories...I used to be okay with these dreams, but I only saw them as just that- dreams...not memories." 

"I'm sorry you're dealing with this, you wanna talk more about it?"

"Uh...I think so." You began, "It was my parents- when the red room made me watch their murder..." You felt tears begin to form as you saw the image in your head. 

"Gosh, that's terrible." Bucky whispered, resting his cheek on your head. 

"Buck?" You squeaked.

"Hmmm?" he hummed in response. 

"Could you stay...only if you want." 

"Yes ma'am. I'd love to."