17: Guess So

The question rang in your head like an alarm. What if they were still alive? Would they still love you? Do they know that you're still alive? Why hadn't they contacted you? 

You suppressed the overwhelming amount of questions that you had and took a deep breath. 

"I don't know, ask Nick, I guess...he knew them personally." You replied as you exhaled. 

"But it doesn't add up. Fury was told that you were dead, why would your parents tell SHIELD and their best friends that you died?" Tony inquired. 

Confusion seemed to be the most common feeling in your head lately, especially right now. 

For the next few hours, the three of you looked through old files in SHIELD's database, rummaging through the evidence board, and tried to piece together a theory. 

Tony broke the silence and shot up, "It just doesn't make sense that if the world thought you were dead, why does this evidence board have baby pictures, Mercy pictures, and recent ones?".

"So whoever made it knows Mercy and the identity." Steve concluded. You and the genius duo jumped, not knowing he and Bucky were standing in the doorway. 

"Only hydra knows that stuff about Mercy, though. If SHILED didn't know my identity, I doubt some random person would." you pondered. 

"But it's not a random stranger. That crazy board was found in a Hydra facility, they know what they're doing.", Tony cut in. 

"Why would they use an old cork board, though? Other than SHIELD, they're the most technologically advanced organization. Wouldn't they use a tracking program? Or...anything more efficient?" Bruce asked.

Steve thought for a minute before responding, "Maybe they did use one and that's how they got the baby photos. They might be trying to throw us off." 

Bucky finally spoke up, "Hydra wouldn't keep baby pictures. They don't care about your past..."

"Only your potential for the future." You finished, "and my parents were really weird about pictures of me. They didn't take too many, and the ones that they did stayed with them...I guess because they were agents." you said, shocked that you remembered it. 

Tony stood up and began closing out of the holographic screens, "FRIDAY, shut it down for the night."

The rest of the room looked to Tony in confusion. 

"I know this is off brand for me, but it's three in the morning, and I'm exhausted." he sighed. 

"Tony's right, we can work in the morning, but straining ourselves over this without sleep won't get us anywhere.", Steve agreed. 

Everyone began to head out and to bed, Bucky threw his arm around your shoulders and walked with you. You were still thinking though each picture, so you hadn't realized that you had arrived at his room. 

"Wanna stay in here?" he asked. 

"You wouldn't mind?"

He snickered for a second before grabbing you hand and pulling you into the room, "I think last night was the best I've ever slept, hun"

You smiled at the sweet sound of Brooklyn that yet again, snuck through in his language. 

"You're lucky I'm really- really tired." you yawned. 

Bucky went to go take a shower and you decided to throw on one of his t shirts and get comfortable, you must've fallen asleep instantly because you were re-awoken when you felt the bed dip as he got in. 

You rolled over to where your face was only inches from his and you could feel his breath fan out on your cheeks. 

"Buck?" you whispered. 

"mmhm" he hummed in response, eyes already closed, he must've been exhausted too. 

"What are we?" 

He opened his eyes and smiled as they came into focus and met yours. 

"Well, what do you want us to be?"

You thought for a minute, "I don't know, how do relationships work? I kind of missed my teen years." You joked. 

"I don't know how they work now, but I remember it where basically if you kissed a girl, it was official." He knew exactly what he was doing and you weren't even mad. Before you knew it, all self control was out the window and your lips were on his. 

Electricity sparked through your body, butterflies flooded your stomach, and you couldn't quite describe the feeling if you tried. 

As you pulled back, you saw the biggest smile across Bucky's face, and your's was no doubt just as silly. 

"Well, I guess that makes me your girlfriend." 

"I guess so." 

A/N: Woah I actually followed through, im in a writing mood tonight so maybe another tonight? Time will tell ig