16: Active File

Knife in hand, you snuck around the forest that surrounded the base. You followed Steve and Sam as closely as possible, they seemed to know what they were doing. You, on the other hand, did not. Well, you had your instincts and abilities, but no one had really given a breakdown on how this was supposed to work. 

Once making it to the actual building, you saw that Tony had already gotten there, judging by the lasered doors that were now on the floor. 

"Approaching heat signatures, I may need backup." you heard Natasha say in the comm. 

"On our way." Sam replied. 

You had lost Steve and Sam once they went for Natasha, but you were at least inside, so points for that. 

You looked around and quickly realized that this was no stranded site. 

"Hey, uh, I think S.H.I.E.L.D.  lied to us." You whispered. 

Tony answered, "Well yeah, there are heat signatures, but Romanoff knocked them out. What did you find?"

"A board...." you began, but you were growing speechless the more you stared. Something was familiar about the faces on this board, it made your head pound. You were frantically searching for any recollection that you had of these people and places. 

"What kind of board? What do you mean?" Tony asked. 

"It- it's about me." You gasped, realizing that not only did you recognize the little girl in the pictures, but you are the little girl in them.

"Hold on, we're coming." Bucky said into his mic, you barely heard him. You were more focused on why there was an entire evidence board about you. 

Within seconds, Bucky, Nat, and Tony all arrived at the room you were in. 

Nat took some scanning device and aimed it at a glass of water on a nearby table. 

"People have been here within the last 12 hours. We need to take this and get out." She said quickly. 

Tony detached it from the wall and Steve carried it out. You couldn't feel your legs and felt frozen in place. "Y/n, we really need to go. C'mon you gotta walk." Bucky said, slightly pushing you in the direction of the door. 

You watched and carefully moved your feet until you could understand what you were doing. 

"Atta girl, alright, let's go." 

Keeping your eyes glued to Steve and the board, you picked up speed and ran out of the building, Bucky not far behind. 

Out of breath from both running and hyperventilation, you made it to the jet and plopped into a seat. 

You watched as each other member of the team loaded onto the jet. Analyzing their emotions and trying to figure them out- probably an unhealthy defense mechanism, but it's been quite the day. 

Bucky sat on your right, and Steve on your left. (haha get it?)

You buried your face into your hands, trying to ease the headache that was caused by such sudden stress. 

"Are you okay?" Bucky breathed as you wondered how this man wasn't out of breath. 

You sat up straight and looked to him. "Yeah" you began, "it's just- I remember all of that. Like all of those pictures, and even the ones of me when I wasn't me. Like, I remember it..but I didn't, and I can't exactly remember the stories and names....ugh I probably sound crazy." you rambled. 

Steve chuckled under his breath. "I don't mean to laugh, you just sound exactly like Bucky when he was getting back into things."

"Well not all of us have the luxury of waking up in a nice hospital bed, with the country awaiting our arrival, Rogers." Bucky joked. 

The three of you were all laughing and joking about waking up in a different time, and yet you couldn't get that damn board off of your mind. 

--------------------

After getting back to the compound, you and Wanda decided to watch a movie in her room. She seemed to know all of the good ones, so you let her pick. She chose Mean Girls, because you "need to catch up and see the iconic ones". Her and Peter did a pretty good job at helping you get back to normal with that stuff.  

About halfway through the movie, FRIDAY paused it. "Ms. y/l/n, Dr. Banner is requesting your presence in the lab."

You looked at Wanda and she had a fake pout. 

"Thanks FRIDAY." you sighed.

"Ugh, we're finishing this later!" she called as you made your way out of the door. 

------

You walked into the lab to see Bruce messing with some tubes and Tony just staring off into space, lost in thought. 

"What's up?" You asked, popping the P.

"We just found some stuff that was...interesting." Bruce explained. 

You took a seat on the counter and waited for a further response. 

"Basically, the fingerprint and DNA that Natasha scanned back at the base, it's genetically similar to yours."

"But I never touched that cup...and my parents are dead, and I don't think I have any other family." You were growing more and more confused by the second. 

"Well, that's the kicker. We were checking SHILED's databases for your parents' DNA, it's a long shot but anything's possible. Well, come to find out, there is no specific bio-identification for them in our files." Tony interjected. 

"Well yeah, they're dead, why would SHIELD keep dead people's records?" you replied. 

"Exactly. But then why do they still even have active files?" Bruce rejoined. 

A/N: Hey loves! I'm going to try and write tomorrow but I suck at following through whenever I say that, so we'll see. Thanks so so so much for 7.3k reads! insane!!!! The big plot is ~finally~ coming together. Also, I literally love reading through the comments that you guys leave, seriously, you're all flipping comedians. Anywho, go request under my imagines book, go watch WandaVision, and go vote!!!!