4: Snow White

You followed Tony to the conference room to find that everyone was already seated and ready to  do whatever it was Tony called them for. 

"I think I figured out bunhead over here, mostly." He said as he brought up an empty blue screen.

He began to pull up files and documents. "So we know about the back story, the brainwashing, blah blah blah. But the question is, what's left of her brain from when she was well not her?"

You decided to answer this one. "I have these um...dreams. They're super realistic and I normally wake up crying from them. Could those just be memories?"

Bucky straightened up in his seat. Everyone in the room noticed and turned to him. He cleared his throat to hide the discomfort that was very explicitly shown on his face. "Yeah. They're memories. I get them too." He said quickly. 

Natasha stood up and took the tablet from Tony. "Okay, this is moving too slow. We know she doesn't consciously  remember it, but clearly, it wasn't entirely wiped. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that you managed to remember all assassin tactics and instincts just judging by the way you are. Those crazy instincts you were talking about yesterday, they're a side effect of the super solider serum. Case closed." she huffed. 

Everyone sat back in their seats for a few minutes, trying to process this new information, you included. Sure, you heard this all yesterday, but it still didn't feel entirely real. 

"Okay. Everyone break." Tony announced. With that, everyone got up from their seats and continued their day. 

You decided to head back to your room and let everything sink in, without anyone interjecting. After a few minutes of just laying on the floor and staring at the ceiling, you heard the faintest knock. 

"It's open." you grumbled. God I hope this isn't Tony.

The door creaked open and in walked Wanda, holding a stack of neatly folded leotards, tights, and shoes. 

"Figured you would want some of these." 

"Woah, thank you. I--"  you began.

"I know, you're not used to being treated like a human. I was the same exact way. Trust me." She giggled. 

You began to fidget with your fingers, not really knowing how to respond. 

"I was in a cage, for years, and used for some messed up stuff. So, I get where you're coming from on being stand-off-ish, but I think you need a friend...so, friends?" She asked, holding her hand out to shake. 

"Friends." You repeated with a smile. 

"Okay, I'm gonna leave you alone now, oh and if you ever need someone, I can read minds, so just like mentally call me" she joked as she closed the door. 

------------------------------

You spent the remainder of the day arranging things in your room, trying on your new clothes, and exploring the wonders of the internet. You were just beginning to understand Pinterest when you heard Wanda call through the door. "hey, y/n, we're about to watch a movie! You should join." 

"Okay! I'll be down in a minute!" You called back. You threw on some sweatpants and a tank top and head downstairs. 

"Hey! You're here!" Clint exclaimed. 

"Tonight, we're watching a classic Disney movie. Snow White." Natasha began. "We decided we should start you from the beginning."

"Ooh! I've seen this one!" You said, joining the others on the couch. you ended up sitting next to Wanda and Bucky. You didn't really know Bucky, and you wished you could say that you only sat next to him because you had to, but that would be a lie. You couldn't deny that the man was gorgeous. 

The movie began and you were confused. 

"What's wrong?" Tony asked, apparently noticing the look on your face. 

"I don't think this is the right version?" You questioned. 

"Why do you say that?" He asked.

"Well the words aren't there." You replied.

"What words?" Clint asked suspiciously. 

"Like on the walls. They're supposed to say pain and death and stuff. And then supposed to be more blood. Seriously, did you get the wrong copy?" 

Everyone exchanged worried yet knowing looks.

"What's going on?" You asked

Natasha sighed. "That's part of the brainwashing."

"Subliminal messaging." Clint tensed. 

Natasha turned to you with a sorry face. "They really took your childhood, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess...." You said, fidgeting with the hem of your shirt. 

"I think that's enough movie-ing for tonight." Clint said as he stood up. The team followed suit. You walked up to Natasha. 

"Sorry for ruining movie night..." You sighed. 

"No honey, it's not your fault." She placed a hand on your shoulder and you flinched. Her face grew sad and she threw her arms around you and took a deep breath. 

You were shocked for the first few seconds, but it felt good to have someone care about you, so you hugged back. You hadn't even known how much you needed a hug until now, when you were fighting back tears. 

After a while, Natasha released her arms and looked at you. "I'm sorry this happened." she said, with tears in her eyes, and walked off.