1. Sober Ride Home

Y/n's pov

The music blared in my ears. Some rap song everyone seemed to have learned but me, the looser sitting in the corner of the party, completely sober. I wondered if any of them could rap Guns and Ships, let alone know what song that is. You're probably wondering why I was even at this party. Long story short, it was my roommate's boyfriend's friend's 21st, and they needed a sober ride home.

Yeah. I'm that kid.

To be fair, as long as no drunk dudes harass me I'm okay with it.

I'll admit I did sign myself up for this. Chelsie walked into our living room gushing about the party, and sensible me asked her if she had a sober ride home. And then volunteered. I don't even know where she is right now. No doubt off somewhere with James – her boyfriend – hooking up or something.

I guess this is the party lifestyle I never was a part of back in high school. I didn't fit the popular clique at all. I was the nerdy theatre kid, who didn't have many friends outside the theatre 'cult' (as they called us), and was quite content reading, studying, and being the textbook definition of a nerd – while also listening to musical soundtracks on repeat. After leaving school, I got into a dance school in LA, and moved far, far away from my childhood home of Melbourne, Australia. That was about a year ago.

"You good over here all by yourself?" A guy around my age, maybe slightly older, sat down on the chair next to me.

I felt myself tense up, watching for all the signs of drunkenness, or any other potential threat to my safety.

"Great party, I must say, but I don't think I've met you before. I'm Eben." He held out his hand for me to shake. I could barely smell alcohol in his breath, and no alarm bells were ringing in my head.

"Y/n," I shook his hand. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Nice to meet you too." He smiled a genuine smile, his eyes sparkling. "What brings you here?"

"Sober ride for my housemate and her boyfriend... Not very exciting, I'm afraid. What about the likes of yourself?"

There was something about the manner he carried himself that made me feel completely at ease.

"I sorta know the birthday boy. Mainly through my brother. Which one's your housemate?"

I scanned the room for Chelsie, and spotted her and James coming in from the kitchen, and pointed them out.

"I think someone introduced her to me earlier... there are just so many people here, I really don't know anymore..." He laughed softly. "How'd ya end up her babysitter?"

I told him the short story, and he nodded sympathetically.

"Not the party type, I gather," he flashed that smile again.

"No, not really... How about you?"

"I don't mind it once in a while, but I'd rather be doing other things right now, you know?"

"For example?" I asked, curious.

"Making music, probably." He scratched the back of his neck.

"So you're a musician, then? Nice. Full time or as a hobby?"

"I'm fortunate enough to be able to call it my job," he grinned.

"That's so cool! What exactly do you do?" I shifted in my seat to focus my attention on him.

Being a dancer, I love music in general, and I love the opportunity to hear about someone successful in that area.

Eben told me about his music career, and I asked if he would play me one of his songs.

"Sure," He pulled out his phone. "Ooh, I think you'll like this one. It's called Plastic Angels, and it's about when I moved to LA, and how it felt." He looked up at me, his face full of enthusiasm.

"Sounds cool!"

He played the song, and it was really good. If you've never listened to it, you should.

"Just curious, do you like rap at all? I do some rap stuff too." He scrolled through the playlist of songs.

"I do like rap... Just I'm a theatre kid... So, like Hamilton?"

"Ohh, right. Got you," He laughed. "So, can you rap Guns and Ships?"

"I'm not really one to brag, but, um yeah..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEYYY :)) Welcome to my new storyyy 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it :)