21. Screw Societal Standards

Eben's pov

I combed my fingers through her hair. She was on my lap, one leg on either side of mine. Her head rested on my chest. Our breathing was synced.

"Eben?" She lifted her head up to meet my eyes.

"Mmh?"

I carelessly traced her cheek and jawline with my fingers.

"Will you go on a date with me?"

"Hey! I'm meant to ask you that!" I pouted. "Take that back right now!"

"Screw societal standards," Y/n giggled. "I can do what I want." She planted a kiss on my lips as if to solidify her argument. "So, will you go on a date with me? Friday night."

"On two conditions," I sighed a little dramatically. "One, I get to take you on a second date regardless of how the first one goes."

"Fair. And two?"

"Two," I grinned. "If and when we get married, you don't even consider proposing. I don't care about societal standards; I've spent too long planning out perfect proposals to have the pleasure taken away from me. Deal?"

"Gosh you're attractive," She murmured. "Deal."

We sealed the deal with another kiss. A rather passionate one.

Y/n finished editing her video curled up next to me. Then, we cooked dinner together and watched a movie, sharing a big fluffy blanket and cuddling the whole time. Somewhere toward the end, I fell asleep.

I was woken up by my phone buzzing in my pocket. I forced an eye open. Y/n was curled up next to me, still fast asleep. I pulled out my phone. It was 7.30, and I had missed calls from both Jonah and Corbyn.

I called Jonah back.

"Eben, where are you at? We thought you'd just come home after we went to bed, but then couldn't find you..."

"Sorry to have worried you... I'm at Y/n's. We fell asleep on the couch watching a movie."

"Wait, did you ask her...?"

"Yeah! I'll fill you in later."

Y/n woke up not long after Jonah and I hung up. She opened one eye and saw me. Her face broke into a massive smile as she stretched.

"Good morning, beautiful," I smiled, stroking her hair.

We had a quick breakfast before I had to go home, and she had to rush to get to dance classes, which had started up again.

We hardly saw each other during the rest of the week, as she had a music video shoot that went a whole two days and then had classes to catch up on, and I had a week crammed with promo interviews and such. To make up for it, we texted almost non stop, and FaceTimed at least 2-3 times a day.

Y/n refused to tell me what she had planned for the date.

"You won't get it out of me," She smirked when I asked for the 4th or 5th time. "So stop asking. You're really not used to being the one taken out, are you?"

"In my defense," I protested. "I have always had to do the taking out, so I never even had a choice!"

On Friday evening I was still in my room messing with my hair when I heard the doorbell ring and Jonah get it.

"She's here," Corbyn informed me, peering into my room.

"How do I look?" I turned to face him. The sound of Y/n's voice downstairs made my heart flutter.

"You look very handsome," Corbyn grinned reassuringly. "Now, don't keep her waiting!"

He followed me downstairs to the front door.

Y/n was wearing a green dress, and had her hair-half up half-down. She usually wears it completely up because of dance. She had a small bouquet of red roses in her hand, which confused me.

"Hey," She smiled. "These are for you." She handed me the flowers.

"Thanks," I blushed, suddenly feeling shy. "No one's ever gotten me flowers before."

"I'll put them in your room," Jonah offered. "Don't bring him back too late," he winked at Y/n.

"I won't," Y/n laughed.

She led me to the car and opened my car door for me.

"Tonight I'm treating you," She announced. "So, no opening car doors, carrying anything, paying, or any other thing a man is stereotypically expected to do on a date. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You heard it here first: SOCIATAL STANDARDS SUCK