16. A Unique Uber Ride

Y/n's pov

The drive to San Diego took about two hours. Because I was coming back to LA on the tour bus, I got an Uber.

My driver was a very nice Latino woman. As I got in the car, she handed me a piece of paper titled Uber conversation menu.

The Therapy Ride - Something bothering you? I will listen with a sympathetic ear and maybe help you see your problems with some clarity (no Guarantees).

The Stand Up Ride - I tell you funny stories (at least to me). From prison stories to poor life choices, and everything in between.

The Life Lesson's Ride - I share some of the life lessons I've learnt. Take em' or leave em'.

The Silent Ride -

The ME Ride - Ima tell you all about myself.

Mix And Match Ride - Choose two (or more) of the above and we'll roll with it.

I read over the list a few times, trying to decide which one I wanted. In the end I decided to mix The Therapy Ride, The Life Lesson's Ride and the ME Ride.

"Which one first?" My driver, Alexia, grinned, pulling out onto the road.

"I'm interested to hear some life lessons," I smiled. "Maybe it will help me try and pinpoint exactly what's bothering me..."

Alexia glanced back at me over her shoulder, as if assessing what life advice I needed.

"Give me a quick rundown of yourself, and where you're heading, if that's okay," She grinned. "That way I can talk about lessons I've learnt that could be relevant to you too."

I gave her a quick rundown.

Alexia mentally noted everything. She thought for a few seconds. "I'm going to assume you have a decent following, and that there are haters-" I nodded- "One of the most solid pieces of life advice I was ever given was don't take criticism from people you wouldn't go and ask for advice from."

"I've definitely had to deal with hate..." I told her about how I'd suddenly blown up, and that hate comment that had really got to me, and how Eben had reacted to it.

"From what you've told me, that Eben is a keeper. If I was you, I'd do everything I can to keep the friendship alive... Going to see him on tour is a great way of doing that," Alexia approved.

We kept talking. She told me about herself, how her parents had immigrated when she was little, and about growing up to be the first member of her family to go to college. She told me about meeting her husband in highschool, when she'd had nothing to do with him. Back then he was involved with the wrong crowd, and ended up in prison for selling drugs after someone gave his name to the police. At first she'd been disgusted that he'd do such a thing, and continued to avoid him, but then she overheard two teachers talking about his family, and how poor they were. They'd said something about him doing it to keep his younger sister in school. She'd learnt the real meaning 'don't judge a book by its cover'.

That afternoon, she'd decided to go visit him in prison, because she knew no one else would, and his family couldn't afford to pay bail.

"He turned out to be the nicest, sweetest boy I've ever met," Alexia sighed. "We became really good friends after that, and actually got a job together at a bakery... we grew super close really quick, and everyone thought we were dating... We were both really stubborn and insisted we were just friends..." She laughed. "It took us two years to finally realise how stupid we were and that we actually both really liked each other. I was 21 when we got married and we have 3 grown-up kids."

"That's the cutest story ever," I cooed. Suddenly Eben popped into my head making my heart flutter. I pushed the thought away.

"The life lesson that came out of it was consider your close friends male as potential suitors... You're close for a reason!" She laughed. "You know, I'm curious about your love life," Alexia announced. "You mentioned something about a broken heart... If you're willing I'd love to hear about it..."

Then the whole story came out, about Jay and moving, and not feeling ready.

"I sense there's something else," She prompted. "You don't have to say, but I have a feeling it's what's been bothering you that you can't pinpoint."

"Well..." I hesitated. "I guess... lately... well, since the hate comment incident... I- I- Eben and I... Our relationship has felt, well, you know.... different?" I stammered.

It wasn't something I'd tried to put into words before.

"Just talk to me about him for a moment. Everything that comes to mind. His personality, looks, things you've done together."

Alexia listened as I talked, nodding encouragingly.

We made it to San Diego, and Alexia dropped me off at the venue.

"I hope you see things a bit more clearly," She smiled.

"Yes, thank you so much."

I headed inside, and was escorted to the bus to leave my bags. And then I went into the actual arena, where Eben was soundchecking. Just before I walked on stage, I paused a moment. Then, taking a deep breath, I went over to say hi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That uber driver is a QUEEN periotttt