4. In the Studio

Eben's pov

A few days later, I had a studio day. Studio days are one of my favourite kinds of day; I usually come out with a song that I eventually share with the world.

We were working on the final touches to my new EP, called Honeydew, my first EP working with Atlantic Records. It's due to be released in June, at the end of the school year, and I'm so excited to share it with the world.

The name Honeydew comes from one of the lyrics to the song I'll be dropping as the preview single, Sad Song. It comes from the line 'Gotta find somethin' new, I can sink my teeth into someone fresh, honeydew, double-check that it ain't you'.

Honeydew is a type of fruit, and it's kind of like a breath of fresh air. Sad Song was going to take the name, but I decided to take it slightly safer with the first song I released. I decided that the project as a whole should take the name instead, because the whole thing is the start of a new chapter in my life. It's something fresh and something new. It also relates to the fact that I recently broke up with my girlfriend. My favourite song on the EP, Bad Drug, is also about that relationship.

Bad Drug talks about a relationship where you're really blinded by the physical, the looks, the lust, but everything that's going on emotionally is really damaging. How the highs are so high, but the lows... they're just so low. The song is accepting that it's not healthy.

The relationship ended mutually, after years of on and off dating. I still miss her sometimes, but she's happier, and I'm happier, and I've been able to rediscover myself.

We worked on a song called The Kids Are Alright. In this song, the kids are our generation, the ones who are going to lead the charge once the leaders die and pass on the torch. It's like a rally cry, letting the older generation know that we will be alright, we will stick together to make a better tomorrow, to make the changes that need to happen. We can't rely on the people above us, but we'll come together and we'll be okay.

This is the reason I've chosen to dedicate my life to music: I can express myself in a way nothing else allows, while reaching other people, and making them happy. I love my career.

Every time I drive anywhere, it literally takes me longer to pick out the music than the actual travel time. Like seriously. I scrolled through my Spotify trying to figure out my mood and what music would be perfect.

Then something caught my eye: the iconic cover of Hamilton. Suddenly I was thinking of Y/n again, and I impulsively clicked play.

The ride home became a Hamilton production, starring me as all the characters, plus the ensemble, plus some of the instrumental bits too.

"Honey, I'm home," I called, shutting the front door behind me. Calling that out when we get home was something Jonah started doing as a joke a while back, and it has since become tradition.

The things that happen when you let 3 guys live in the same house.

I found Corbyn playing some video game on the TV, and spotted Jonah out in the backyard talking to someone on FaceTime.

"Who's he talking to?" I plunked myself down next to Corbyn on the couch.

"I'll give you one guess and one guess only," Corbyn challenged.

"Tate?"

"Bingo."

Tate is Jonah's girlfriend. She lives in Seattle, Washington.

"I'm surprised you're not talking to Cristina," I dropped lightly.

Cristina is Corbyn's girlfriend. She lives in New York City.

To be honest, the fact that both of them maintain healthy distance relationships amazes me no end. Distance was one of the reasons my relationship finally fell through.

I joined Corbyn the next round of the game he was playing, and we played until it was time for dinner.

I try to keep a decent sleep schedule alive. One of the biggest problems I see amongst my musician friends is them getting no sleep. They get distracted making a beat, and next thing they know it's 3 in the morning. Sometimes you have to, but I generally try to be off devices by 10.30 or 11 pm.

It was about 11.15 pm. As I was lying in bed trying to sleep, suddenly a thought struck me.

"What if Y/n has YouTube?"

I shot, went straight to my computer, and searched Y/n Australian Dancer living in La.

There it was. Her channel. Staring me in the face, mocking me for taking so long to find it.

From there, it only took me a few moments to find her Instagram, and see she'd already DM'd me. One step ahead.

Yoo I found you. Finally! Sorry it took so long... You probs won't see this 'till tomorrow, so we can talk then :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step your game up Eben ahah took you long enoughhh :))