6. The Heartbreak in Her Past

Eben's pov

"Wow, it's like 5.30," Y/n said suddenly, "And I'm suddenly feeling cold." She laughed.

This was only the second time I'd talked to her, but, with the amount of ourselves we'd shared with each other, it already felt like we'd know each other forever.

"Here, have my hoodie, and let's walk to help you warm up." I untied my hoodie from my waist and handed it to her.

"Thanks," She smiled, taking it and pulling it over her head.

We walked along the path as the sun began to set and the world changed colours.

"Let's go up on that hill to get a better view of the sunset," she suggested, pointing to a grassy hill just off the path.

"You know what would really warm you up?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"Race you to the top," I grinned. "Ready, set, go!"

We took off. She was quick, and it was a neck to neck race. Just as we were almost there, she suddenly got a burst of speed, and made it to the top ahead of me.

"I win," She squealed, out of breath.

"Only just," I panted, laughing.

"Whatever..." She rolled her eyes and turned to look at the view. And gasped. "Look at the sky! It's so beautiful!"

"So it is," I murmured, staring out at the orange horitzon, with its fairy-floss pink clouds over some remaining blue sky, silhouetting the trees and houses out ahead of us.

"Sunsets and sunrises still blow me away, even though I've seen so many," she sighed contently.

"Every single one is so unique it's hard to not to be amazed," I agreed.

We stood in awe filled silence, taking in the sky, until the sun disappeared, and the lampposts in the park began to flicker on amongst the trees.

Then we walked back down the hill and I walked her to her car.

"You know," I admitted, "I'll be listening to Hamilton the whole way home again."

"Have you seen the pro shot?"

"I watched it when it came out. I would ask if you have, but that would probably be the dumbest question I've ever asked..." I chuckled.

"Yeah... I've watched it an embarrassing number of times, aka more than I can count."

"Maybe we should watch it sometime. Cue the karaoke, of course," I joked.

"I'm down," Y/n smiled.

We talked for another few minutes, and said goodbye multiple times, and then kept talking, in the way I feel good friends always do. We did, eventually, say a final goodbye, and I headed to my car.

As I was driving home I reflected on how similar Y/n and are. We're both music obsessed to the point where we're making it our career. We both love to talk and bounce well off each other. We both have one younger sibling — she has a little sister, and I have a little brother. And, funnily enough, we both recently had relationships come to an end, and both say we're not ready to love anyone again yet.

The stories of how and why our relationships ended, however, are quite different. I've already told you my story, and Y/n told me hers as we sat on the park bench.

She'd started dating this guy called Jay back in 10th grade. He was her first ever boyfriend. They'd dated for the next two and a half years or so, and had a pretty good relationship.

Or so Y/n had thought.

After some four months of dating, he'd started asking her if they could sleep together, and Y/n had refused. She'd given him all the reasons, and he'd eventually come to accept that it wasn't going to happen unless they got married.

The truth came out a few months before Y/n finished school, just after their two and a half year anniversary. It turns out that Jay had been cheating on Y/n with a number of other girls to satisfy his 'needs', as he put it. He'd been cheating for more than half the relationship.

Y/n had been heartbroken when she found out.

As she was telling me, I could see the tears welling up in her eyes.

"That was one of the reasons I decided to just go for it and move," She told me. "I kept seeing him around, and everything reminded me of him. Jay was my first love, my first boyfriend, my first kiss..." She smiled at some of the memories. "When it all came to the light, I swore I would never love anyone again. Moving to LA changed my perspective a bit, but I'm still not ready..."

"Neither am I, Y/n," I thought. "No matter what people say, neither am I."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW DARE he break her heart like seriouslyyy I guess it meant she met Eben, so Win?