23. It's not you it's me

Eben's pov

The evening was magical. We cuddled together in the pillows and blankets, keeping a running commentary on the movie, and munching through snacks.

On the drive home we detoured to get ice cream, and then she dropped me off home with a kiss.

I found Corbyn and Jonah up waiting for me.

"How was the movie date?" Jonah asked as I shut the front door behind me.

"It was lots of fun," I smiled, flopping down on the couch. "I just love spending time with her..."

"Come on, we want the details. Did you make out?" Corbyn smirked.

I filled them in best I could.

The next couple of months flew by. Y/n and I texted non-stop, and spent every single possible second together.

I asked her to be my girlfriend on our third date. It wasn't anything too fancy, we went to the beach, and we walked along the sand, talking and taking in the view.

"Race you to the end of the pier," Y/n challenged suddenly, taking off across the sand.

"Oh, no you don't!" I called, racing after her.

She made it to the boardwalk just ahead of me, and picked up speed as she moved onto harder ground. She only had the advantage for a few seconds, before I made it too. We were pretty equal the whole time, so she kept her lead very consistent.

"I win!" She gasped, grabbing onto the rail.

I came up behind her and began tickling her. She squealed, trying to break free from me.

"Stop!" She cried between giggles.

I stopped, hugging her tight, as we both started out to sea.

"Y/n?" I said after a while. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Of course," She murmured, kissing my hand.

One Saturday afternoon, I was in the studio. Y/n was there too, editing a YouTube video on the couch.

One of my producers brought up a song that I had written with Jonah a while back; It's Not You It's Me.

"Are you planning to release that or...?"

I had written it not long after I had broken up with my ex. It was about coming to terms with the fact that it had ended, and realising that I needed to rediscover myself.

"Yeah, I'm not sure... Maybe we should listen to it through... Hey, Y/n?"

"Mmm?" She looked up from her laptop and pulled an earbud out. "What can I help you with?" She smiled, and my heart melted slightly.

"There's this song I wrote a while ago, and I'm not sure if I should release it or not... I'd love your opinion."

"Sure." She closed her computer and came over next to my chair.

I clicked play.

I'm driving by myself/ Tryna begin again/ See the photographs/ You were my best friend. And now I'm on my own/ Tryna find myself/ Did I do the right thing?/ Will this darkness end?/

I glanced up at Y/n, and was surprised to see a tear rolling down her cheek.

I put my arm around her waist and pulled her close.

The last few notes of music played out.

"It needs some work..." I said.

Y/n nodded, staring thoughtfully into space.

"I think you should release it," She said after a while. "It- It describes... exactly how I felt when I decided I needed to leave my life behind, move to LA, and start again... I just-" She searched for more words but none came.

"In one sense, it's like a conclusion to a chapter of my life," I mused. "I like that..."

We worked on the song for the rest of the session.

Y/n came over to my house for dinner, and we had a virtual meal with my parents. Basically we FaceTimed, and ate our respective meals. Asa joined us too. It was Y/n's first time meeting them, but, to my relief, they all got along right away.

We had done a similar thing with her family the week before, although time difference had meant we were eating different meals... 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This song hits different I love it so much