12. Fan Base Detectives

Eben's pov

We were in the middle of a game of Marco-Polo, when I caught sight of Y/n coming back outside. The joy on her face was unmistakable, and I immediately guessed that the phone call had been about a job offer.

"Which one did you get?" I called out to her, swimming to the edge of the pool.

She had told me all about the different jobs that were on offer and which ones she was really hoping to be considered for.

"You'll never guess," Y/n beamed, sitting down on the edge of the pool. "Revolution."

"No way, congrats! What part?"

"The female lead. And Troy got the male lead! It's almost too good to be true."

"What's this?" Tate asked.

Y/n quickly filled her in, and the others listened too. Y/n was flooded with congratulations, and I sensed that I wasn't the only one feeling very proud of her.

After a while, we started the game again.

"Marco!" Jonah called.

"Polo!" We chorused back.

Suddenly Jonah swang around toward where Tate's voice was coming from and lashed out. Tate squealed and tried to swim away, but Jonah was too close. He only just grabbed her by the foot and dragged her toward himself, pulling her into his arms.

"You're it," He said in her ear, and then kissed her cheek.

Witnessing things like that always gives me mixed feelings: half of me is freaking out over how cute they are, but the other half of me is just feeling called out for being so single. I sighed, and then shook the feeling away. I wasn't ready not to be single.

Jonah let go of Tate and she closed her eyes.

"Marco!"

We played for a while longer and then had cake.

Having a birthday party and inviting an entire band is great, because generally you get a beautiful harmonious rendition of happy birthday. They delivered. There was some conflict as to if it was "Jonah and Eben" or "Eben and Jonah", but, other than that, it was a blessing to the ears. Lavender even made a really cute coo at a very perfectly timed moment, making everyone smile. She makes us all smile so much all the time.

As we were eating, I pulled out my phone to answer birthday messages.

I follow a bunch of my fan's accounts, and one particular one had done a birthday project for me, where they'd gotten a bunch of fans to record short videos wishing me happy birthday. I reposted it on my story.

"Eben?" Y/n suddenly said next to me.

"Mmmh?"

"Some fan account has found my YouTube video of teaching you to dance." She held up her phone for me to see.

Sure enough, someone had taken sections of the video and made a compilation. Of me messing up, of course.

"After I reposted your happy birthday story, I wondered how long it would take the fans to find it," I admitted. "They're literal detectives."

"You'll probably gain a bunch of followers," Tate said. "Oh, and it's almost guaranteed that rumours that you and Eben are dating will follow."

"And probably a bunch of twelve and thirteen year-olds will start openly hating you because they think Eben's their property and that they will meet and marry him one day," Christina added.

"Even if you're not actually dating," Jonah said.

"Welcome to 'every fanbase has a toxic part and it sucks'," Gabbie sighed.

"Wow," Y/n rolled her eyes. "I'm excited."

"Careful, we'll scare her away if we're not careful," Jack mock-warned.

"Don't worry," Gabbie side-hugged her. "We're here for you no matter what."

We spent the rest of the afternoon playing a really fun game called Codenames. Basically there are two teams. Each team is racing to guess all their cards. To do that, each team has a codemaster who can give a one-word clue and the number of cards that clue applies to. The game is a lot of fun, and takes a lot of brainwork; if you guess the wrong card, you could well pick the assassin, an instant loss.

The teams were pretty even, and we eventually called it quits. Gabbie and Jack had to get home and get Lavender to bed, and soon others began leaving too.

Daniel, Christian, and Y/n stayed a while longer to help clean up, but soon it was just three us left, all ready to go to bed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fans might be onto something thoo....