The Aftermath

That night Kara Danvers had stared into the void as if the Luthor had just produced a rhinoceros from her pocket. Lena could just imagine the sparks in Kara's brain, desperately trying to connect the dots and instead just causing a short circuit. She looked like a pop-eyed toy from one of those claw machines at the funfair. Perfectly funny.

But the Luthor knew it was far from funny.

When she moved to touch the Kryptonian, to check her pulse if she was still breathing, Kara gripped her wrist firm and tight.

And when Lena looked into her eyes, she saw nothing but a statue that resembled the woman she loved.

The Kryptonian had turned white as chalk. Her eyes and her mouth were frozen wide open in an expression of stunned surprise, and although she was staring at the Luthor she appeared not to notice her at all.

She appeared to be in a battle, but inside her head. Was she thinking too hard? Maybe. Was she shell-shocked, dumbfounded, astonished, numb? Absolutely. Who wouldn't be?

Finding out the woman of your dreams, the love of your life, the very saviour and protector of your soul, the woman of your ruins, the bearer of your very own existence, the only being you live for, is pregnant. You find out she is carrying a child inside her, another being exist inside of her, but you don't know whose child it is. I mean, after all, she had fucked another man not long ago. So yeah, she was absolutely flabbergasted.

A moment or two passed when Kara came back to reality, and when it hit her that she had been clutching Lena's wrist, she leapt in the air as if a firecracker had gone off, shrieked, wild-eyed, bewildered, hands over mouth, nostrils flaring, blood drained from her face, mouth opening and shutting like a goldfish with no sound coming out, still as a statue, ridged as a board, face stuck in an incredulous expression, unblinking stare, shaking head in disbelief, sent reeling backwards, brain desperately scrambling to make sense of it all, rendered speechless, temporarily incapacitated, stood as if paralysed from the neck up, gibbering nonsense, unable to comprehend what had just occurred, stood as gormless as a guppy.

It was the last thing she'd ever thought she would do.

Hurt her.

She couldn't believe it.

It had crossed her mind, that one day she'd mess up and hurt her, but she had sworn to be careful to avoid this very situation.

How long had she been grasping her wrist like that? Had it been too long? Had she lost control that much?

It was understandable though. A fucking bomb had been placed right in front of her and blew up right in her face. Was it wrong that she needed time to think a little bit? Probably not.

But she knew she was too strong for the Luthor, no one could get away without a scratch in her grip.

"I'm sorr- sorry Lena. I'm so so sorry" the Kryptonian faced the wall, her face creased, and her fist closed so tight

She couldn't look at Lena, she just couldn't.

She then leaned back against the wall, slowly sliding down into the cold floor. She sat there without looking at Lena, just staring into the darkness.

Lena knew Kara was fighting herself for what had just happened.

Seeing her beat herself up almost stopped the Luthor's heart. And so, she moved closer to the Kryptonian and sat down against the wall by her side.

Even though she was right there Kara couldn't look her in the eye, so Lena decided it was time to do it herself.

"Look at me" she commanded her as she stretched her arm and held Kara by her neck and turned her

Lena could have sworn, she had never seen Kara like that, so deflated. Her loose shoulders shook, her hands tight and tense, making no attempt to conceal or even wipe away her own tears. Aside from her reddened face, she was so grey looking, and her hair was as dishevelled as the park under fall leaves.

After a second or two, Kara turned her head down to Lena's wrist. "How bad is it?" she asked

"It's not that bad Kara" Lena answered convincingly, even though the Kryptonian knew it was a lie

"Did I ever tell you that when you lie, your heartbeat increases? And now I can hear its pounding, the pressure, it's drumming. It's almost like I can feel it in my fingertips. That's how I know you're lying Lena" Kara disclosed with such an empty tone, you could hardly tell it was the paragon of hope speaking

"Okay, it hurts a little, but it's not that bad okay? So please don't beat yourself up" Lena tried to ease the Kryptonian's guilt, but her shirt speech was not going to do it.

She then stood and pulled Kara with her, "C'mon, let's go to bed darling"

Without saying a word, Kara rose to her feet and walked by Lena's side and slid under the sheets.

Lena held onto her since Kara herself was afraid to hurt Lena for the second time that night.

The Luthor ended up falling asleep, but the Danvers didn't. She couldn't.

Her thoughts were too loud even for the girl of steel.

And in the middle of the night, she couldn't take it anymore, she was thinking too much, too loud and got even louder by the second

Emotions swirled with the ice water rolling down her chubby cheeks as streaks of fire burned her cheeks.

Each new wave a hot trail of agony as slim, bare shoulders shook in each rake of emotion through her frame. The fire of guilt, fear and anger burned just under her skin and a deep emptiness filled her heart as the sentiments brewed over and boiled past the seams she could no longer hold together.

It was too much to process at the same time while sleeping right next to the Luthor.

She knew she had to get out of there. She had to.

And so, she pulled the sheets off of her and put her clothes back on, she then kissed the brunette's forehead and headed out in the middle of the night.

She didn't fly, she walked.

She needed to process everything that had happened over a short period of time with Lena. It had after all happened so fast.

She had just reconciled with her lover, had makeup sex, enjoyed herself, was happy, then she was smacked right back down again, found out that Lena was pregnant, she had hurt the woman she loved in the process and on top of it all, who was the other parent of the foetus Lena was carrying?

What an evening?

The one question that kept coming to her frontal lobe, however, was, 'Was the child hers? Or was it William's?'

She couldn't stop thinking about it.

Was she the other parent? No?! Yes?! maybe?! possibly?! likely?! unlikely?!

"STOP! just stop" she had told herself. She wanted to stop thinking. For everything to be still, just for a minute for her to breath. To take in the fresh air, the cool and calming breeze.

And so, she focused on her breathing as she walked amongst the very humans she protected every hour of every day. And through the streets of National City, the place she had come to call home.

NOTE

Hello, my lords and ladies,

Here is the first chapter of the sequel to the first book. If you haven't read the first book, I recommend you do so before reading this, in order to understand what is happening.

Also letting you know that it's going to be a bumpy road, make sure to put your seatbelts on.

Otherwise, hang on tight and stick with me. I hope you like the first chapter. More will be coming in time, although I can't promise that I will update every week. I will do my best.

Make sure to stay safe.