Bonus Story #2: One Year Anniversary

It's the sick fic that no one asked for but that I wanted to write. Here's the second and final bonus story that takes place during Aurora and Callie's one year anniversary. While it has been a pleasure writing these characters, this will be the last story I write in this universe. Hope you all enjoy :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first year of college. Everything is new, everyone is new, and there is a new discovery to be made with every passing second. How to avoid eating solely soggy fries from the dining commons, doing laundry for the first time, living with someone you may or may not have chosen to live with in the first place. These were the college experiences I assumed I would be missing...until my mother agreed to let me live in the dorms.

Throughout my senior year, as I watched my friends get into their colleges of choice and heard them share stories of all that was in store, there was a certain loneliness circling in me. Because my life wasn't going to change. My friends would go off, but I would stay behind with my family. My girlfriend would be in town for another year, but already, she was in the process of applying to new colleges herself.

It was off the table to begin with. The idea of me living in the dorms despite attending school nearby. My father was able to ease my mother a bit, and the deal became that if I were to show I could live independently, if I were able to get enough scholarships, and if I promised to check in often, then I could get my wish. It was probably the first time that someone was begging to live in a small dorm room with another person, but for me, it was all I had ever wanted.

And for the time being, it was exciting. Abigail ended up attending the same school as me, and while she had decided to stay at home, having her attending the same university as me helped me branch out. For the time being, I was content and ready to delve more into my college career. Not to mention, dates with Aurora were not infrequent.

Everything has become scary and yet fulfilling at the same time as I have learned to navigate college. For the most part, I could not imagine anything than better than living on campus and having that iconic college experience.

That was until late September when I now lay sick in bed with fever, coughing up a lung while my roommate grumpily does her homework at her desk across from me.

Maggie Ramirez. That's her name. We were randomly paired. She has dark, glossy hair and tan skin, yet her dark eyes always look cold and annoyed. She is by no means a poor roommate. She keeps her side of the room clean, talks to me every once in a while, is quiet while I'm sleeping, and does not bring too many guests over. We chat occasionally, and sometimes we go to the dining commons together, but other than that, we are not close.

I cannot yet tell if time hasn't brought us together, or if we are just not compatible as friends. She is quieter and studious. She hangs out in different social circles. We get along well enough, but I have never found us to hang out just for fun. I think if we had not been paired as roommates, we would never be friends to begin with.

For this reason, I have been too scared to bring Aurora by my dorm. Maggie does not strike me as someone who is close-minded and conservative. I am sure if I spoke casually about my girlfriend, I would not be judged, but we never speak about our romantic lives. From what I know, Maggie is single. And if she were to do a quick stroll at my Instagram, she would know that Aurora and I are in a relationship, but she hasn't said a word about it. I know a part of me fears that perhaps she is uncomfortable sharing a room with a lesbian, but I have put in my best efforts of being mindful and conscious of that.

I have apologized to Maggie profusely for being sick and keeping her awake with coughing. She merely says it can't be helped and goes to her early morning classes anyway while I lay in bed, wondering when my fever will finally break. I called my mom, who insisted I should come home, but I told her I would be fine. Still, she has threatened to come over with supplies for me, even though I have promised her I am still eating and staying hydrated.