47. Pumpkin Patch

I smooth my red flannel down with my hands. I originally found it to be an appropriate fall outfit, though now I realize it just makes me look like a stereotypical lesbian. All that's left is throw some shoes on and comb a brush through my hair, even if it all it ever does is lie flat against my shoulders.

I hear the doorbell ring downstairs and let out a squeal as I look around for my mini black backpack that I've come to use as my purse these days. I can already hear the chatter beginning downstairs, and I quickly descend the steps, wondering why Aurora didn't just text me she was here so I could come outside and escape with her without having to make awkward small talk.

Aurora is chatting with my parents at the door with a smile on her face. Her outfit is much more impressive than mine, but I expected nothing different. She wears a green sweater and black leggings with a pale beanie comfortably wrapped around her head. She looks beautiful, but I have to hold back how much I want to compliment her in front of my parents.

"S-Sorry, I was just finishing getting ready," I stammer.

"That's okay. We were just chatting about college," Aurora assures me.

"I didn't know Aurora was an English major," my mother states. "She can help you on your college apps, Callie."

"I'd be happy to!" Aurora agrees.

"Mom, I don't need help. I can write them myself," I grumble.

My parents continue to throw a few more questions at her, like where she plans to transfer and what her career goals are until I'm tapping my foot impatiently because Aurora's hand is right there, but I don't want to grab it in front of my parents.

"Well, treat our Callie well tonight," my father states.

"S-Stop!" I complain.

"You should join us for dinner sometime," my mother offers.

"Yeah, that would be great," Aurora says before I grab onto her wrist and start pulling her out of my house. I wave good-bye to my parents and shut the door behind me before I grab her hand and walk with her out to her car.

"Sorry that they were nagging you. I guess I didn't expect them to be supportive enough to be interviewing you like that," I say.

"Your parents were nice though. I'm glad to see them happy for you," Aurora says.

The sun is starting its slow descent, casting long shadows out over the neighborhood. I take a seat in Aurora's car, curling back in surprise as she leans forward to plant a kiss on my cheek.

"Wh-what was that for?"

"Just 'cause," she says. She smiles, and soon we are on our way, driving down the streets under vibrant autumn colors, watching the way the golden sun gives the sky an orange hue.

"I like your outfit," I say. "It's really cute. I wanted to tell you earlier, but my parents were around and..."

"You don't think it's sexy?" she teases.

"It can be cute and sexy!"

Aurora laughs. "Did you wear the flannel to be a stereotypical lesbian?"

"Well, not originally, but it kind of seems that way now," I say.

We arrive at the pumpkin patch after about a fifteen minute drive, and I suddenly feel nervous. Before, when we weren't publicly dating, we were always able to share our more intimate moments privately. This is the first time we'll be acting as a couple out in public, and the thought is strange to me. I am begging with every fiber of my being that an old woman doesn't come up to us with a sour look.