45. A New Day

I almost forget the events that transpired the day before when I wake in the morning, finding shards of sunlight streaming through my window. I stretch and make sounds of waking before I grab my phone, finding a text from Aurora.

Morning! Want to talk on the phone tonight? I'll be done with classes in the evening.

For a second, I'm confused, then suddenly everything comes whirling back to me, and I quickly text back to agree. I smile happily as I get ready for school, which seems like an oxymoron. There'll be no hiding this from my friends, I realize, and I think they'll be happy to know that I'm happy. Still, the thought is slightly terrifying. It reminds me of when I came out, but I know that the general reaction should be a lot more positive this time around. Or so I hope.

Abigail is already quick to notice my good mood when I arrive to school with a smile on my face.

"Did you finish your college apps?" she asks. "I've never seen you so enthusiastic."

"Ah, not yet. Soon though," I say. It seems too early in the day to slip the news. I feel like it's better to wait until lunchtime, when I'll have more time to talk about what happened to me yesterday. I can tell Abigail already has her suspicions though because she's raising her eyebrows at me. She doesn't ask any questions, however.

School feels different now, in a good way. Aurora's absence is still abundantly clear, but I feel more peaceful knowing that while we may not share school days together any longer, I still have the chance to see her outside of school. Though our frequent walks home together may have ceased, we still have a bright future ahead.

I feel nervous when I get to lunch, but I know nothing will go wrong. My friends will probably be jumping over backwards after hearing about the two of us. I get especially more nervous when Isabella Sandoval decides to join us for lunch the second day in a row, though I suppose it's better she hears this now so I don't have to awkwardly explain later.

"Did something good happen?" Juliet asks when she notices my mood.

"Yeah, Abigail said you were acting weird," Hazel adds. 

"Uh, well, there's no use really hiding it, so...I have a girlfriend now," I state, pushing around my salad with a fork to distract myself from everyone's responses. The responses are immediate.

"What?! Who?!" Hazel exclaims.

"How long?!" Juliet adds.

"Is it—" Abigail's voice cuts off. I suppose she wants me to say it for myself.

"Uh. Um. Well." I struggle to find my voice. "Yesterday you guys asked me if I knew Aurora was bisexual, and, um, yeah...I already knew."

"You're dating Aurora?!" Isabella exclaims. She's usually quite cool and collected, so hearing her freak out of all people just goes to show how big of a deal this fact is.

"Yes," I answer.

"Wait? How long?" Hazel asks. "And why didn't you tell me? Abigail, why aren't you surprised?"

"I already knew a little bit about it," she answers.

"Sorry, Hazel, you like to blabber your mouth sometimes, and it was complicated for a while," I state.

"I thought Aurora went away to college," Abigail says.

"No. She goes to the community college," Isabella answers. I suppose Isabella would have known because she probably opened and thoroughly read Aurora's graduation party invite while I merely threw it in the trash.

"A girl that smart goes to community college?" Hazel asks. "Callie, don't just sit there and stare at us. Are you going to explain?"

"Well, we were, kind of-sort of in a relationship last semester, during my junior year."