25. Study Date II

"I don't know about this, Callie," Aurora mumbles worriedly. She's standing outside the porch of my house while I fumble with the house keys. I find my movements become more sporadic when she is around me, and the fact that my family will meet her today makes my fingers tremble even more than usual. Still, I'm in a far more excited mood than her.

"You were the one who wanted to see the house and everyone so badly," I say. "And we agreed to study at my house a week ago. Are you chickening out now?"

"No!"

"Then, let's study," I say as the door swings open. Fry is the first to greet Aurora the door, barking loudly and wagging his tail. She seems startled at first, which makes sense, as she's used to cats, but slowly, she pats his head.

"See? He likes you," I tell her as I run my fingers through his fur. "Ugh, but he needs a bath though."

"Who's this?" Olivia asks as she heads into the kitchen.

"Oh, this is Aurora. We're studying for our upcoming Calculus test," I state.

"Ha! Only you'd bring a friend over to do something like that," Olivia states, cackling some.

"That's my younger sister, Olivia," I murmur.

"I'm Oliver!" my brother says as he relaxes on the couch in front of the T.V. He gives a friendly wave, which Aurora shyly returns.

"Oh, so you're the Aurora I've been hearing about?" my mother asks as she comes down from her room. "I left out some snacks on the kitchen table that you can take to your room. Olivia, stop it, those are for the girls!"

"I am a girl!" Olivia complains.

"Thanks, Mom," I say, grabbing the plate and sticking my tongue out at Olivia before we ascend up the stairs. It's an assortment of crackers and crudités and a few chocolate truffles, but I'm impressed my mom actually took the time to prepare something of this nature for me. It might be because she worries every time a guest comes over that our house is too dirty. I know for a fact she came home from work early today just to make sure the house was all cleaned up. She even recruited Olivia and Oliver for vacuuming duties the evening prior.

I set the snack tray down on my desk before taking a seat on my bed. Aurora joins me shortly after, and we sit, facing forward, for a few moments.

"Your family seems nice," she says.

"Yeah, they're all right," I answer. "Fry's my favorite sibling though. Don't tell the others."

Aurora giggles. "It feels weird meeting your family. You met mine months ago."

"Well, I was holding back for a reason, I guess," I admit. "They're not as polite as they seem, you know."

"I'll take your word for it," Aurora states, laughing again.

I lock eyes with her, and we grow silent for a moment, because I think both of us are realizing this is the first time we've had some privacy in the past few weeks. I nimbly tuck a strand of her red hair behind her ear, watching her avoid eye contact at the motion and stare down at her fingers. I begin leaning my head toward hers, and her lips eagerly meet mine a moment later.

The kiss is slow and gentle at first, but slowly, I inch closer to her until I'm basically sprawled out on her lap and wrapping my hands behind her neck while she hugs me from behind. Our kisses have never been this fervent, this needy, but her lips meet mine almost roughly, enough for me to let out a groan I didn't know I was holding in.

Aurora breaks away at that point, her face red and sweaty. "Callie, we really shouldn't be doing anything. What if one of your parents walks in?"

"My mom won't bother us now that she's given us some snacks, and my dad won't be home until later this evening, but we'll hear the garage door open at that point," I say before leaning forward to kiss her again. I expect her to pull away, but she molds her lips against mine once more.