49. Two Months Later

The past few months have come and gone in the blink of an eye. I attended my last Homecoming dance, and though Aurora wasn't allowed to come with me since we weren't allowed to one, invite female dates, and two, invite people who were not high school students, I went stag once more, but she did join me for icecream afterwards, and we took some mock pictures in the parking lot, pretending we went together at least, even if I was wearing a dress and she was wearing jeans and a sweater.

The days then shifted into November, where all my college applications were finally turned in. That night I finished turning them in, I slept soundly for the first time in months. The air grew cold, Thanksgiving came and went, as did my birthday. At eighteen, I don't feel much different than I was when I was seventeen, except for the fact I now have to sign everything myself. My family had a nice party, and I had a few friends over to watch movies, Aurora included. She had to leave early for an early morning work shift, but I was happy to at least have her with me for a bit, even though my friends tried to bug her for details about our relationship the entire time.

Now, in December, the first snow of winter has fallen. My father spent the entire weekend putting Christmas lights up, and my mother has almost finished decorating the tree with ribbon. I, meanwhile, am in the midst of one of my last finals seasons, and though the stress of college applications are over for the time being, I am now stressing about finishing up my senior year strong.

I stare out the window, looking at the cloudy and gray afternoon. The sun has already started to descend, and a few neighbors have already put their Christmas lights up. The white and rainbow twinkling lights stand out against the darkened sky. It reminds me of one year ago, when Aurora and I spontaneously went to the tree lighting, and I realized I was falling for her. Those memories reawaken feelings of warmth and love inside me.

Aurora and I haven't seen each other in over a week. We're both in the midst of finals, and our schedules just won't seem to align until break. We've made time for each other these past two months, trying to go on small dates over the weekend or spending some time at each other's houses. The sleepover we once talked about months before has since not happened, and a part of me wonders if Aurora had just forgotten she suggested it. I haven't.

I want to hold her in bed, like I wasn't able to do before. I wonder if this time she would let me. I wonder if this time, she would let me do whatever I wanted.

I stab myself with my pencil tip and glance back down at my homework, telling myself I don't have time to daydream when I have two more subjects I told myself I would study for today. I let out a sigh and flip through a notecard before my phone vibrates.

Normally, I would ignore it, but then I take a closer look. It's Aurora, I realize, when I see the contact name.

"Hey, I don't have time to run off to a tree lighting like last year," I tell her when she answers.

"That's wasn't what I was calling you about, silly, but it would've been nice, huh? There just wasn't a way to fit it in our schedule this year," she complains. "Um, but I'm actually calling about something different."

"Something that will take me away from studying?"

"Well, yeah, but I think you'll like my proposition," she states.

"What is it? I'm really busy. I don't think—"

"Come on. Don't you want a little bit of a break? Some nice time off, with me?"

"What are you proposing?"

"What are you doing tomorrow night?"

"Studying," I answer.

"So you're free."

"No."

Aurora ignores my response. "I was waiting to tell you this until I was absolutely sure, but, my parents are going to a baby shower over the weekend. It's out of town, and they figured instead of commuting back in the evening they'd just stay at a hotel for the night and come back the next day."

"Okay..."

"I won't be going. I'll have the whole house to myself, so...do you want to sleep over?"

I go quiet.

"Callie? Hello?"

"Uh...well...I'd have to..." I try to think of some coherent response, because the answer is most obviously yes, but then I know for certain my parents would not allow me to spend the night, especially if they discovered Aurora's parents weren't home, and then I wonder if even her parents are okay with it.

"You promised we'd have another sleepover soon," Aurora reminds me.

"I thought you'd forgotten, to be honest, because you hadn't said anything," I admit.

"Well, do you want to come over?"

"Yes, but...are your parents okay with it?"

"Well, I didn't exactly tell them I was planning to invite anyone over..."

"That's so unlike you!" I exclaim. "I don't know about my parents. They'd probably say no."

"Then just tell them you're staying at a friend's house if you think they'd let you that way," she suggests.

I let out a small groan.

"Callie," Aurora complains.

"Fine, fine. I'll figure out a way to make it over. What time?"

"Six? We can cook dinner together and go drive around and look at Christmas lights," she suggests.

"Okay. I'll text you to confirm in a little bit," I say.

"Great. Well, see you tomorrow. Hopefully," Aurora says before she hangs up.

I slap my cheeks with my hands. Sure, her parents won't be there, and sure, Aurora didn't make any implications, but I still feel nervous, embarrassed, but also exhilarated. I spend a few minutes composing myself, after I've had a mental crisis about what pajamas I should choose to wear for tomorrow night, before I go downstairs and try to elaborately lie to my parents.

I know I can't tell them I'm spending the night at Abigail's or Hazel's house, because they know their parents too well, and the secret might slip.

"Hey, can I spend the night at Juliet's house tomorrow?" I blurt out quickly when I see my parents downstairs. "We were all going to have a sleepover to take a break from finals."

"We?" my mother asks.

"Abigail and Hazel, if they can come," I say.

"Doesn't Juliet live about a half hour away?" my father asks.

"I've been to her house before. It shouldn't be a problem. Can I go?" I ask.

"Okay, sure. It's good to see you take a break from studying," my mother admits.

"Yeah," I answer, feeling guilty for lying to them, but also more excited that now I have confirmation that I can go. I quickly text Aurora when I get back upstairs, and she responds, telling me she's excited.

I lay on my back and stare at the ceiling, not sure why my heart is pounding. Something tells me that this sleepover will be different from the ones we've had in the past.