35. Waterfall

In the past week alone, Aurora and I have rarely gotten glimpses of each other. Life at school has been hectic, with exams, projects, and preparation for finals and AP exams. It doesn't help that I'm still continually reminded by my friends that prom is only in a few weeks. The semester is rushing by so quickly, I almost want time to slow. I'm not sure if I'm ready to become a senior just yet.

Allison avoids me entirely, which is what I desired, and thankfully, I haven't noticed or heard any new rumors about me, though I'm not sure the initial rumors about my sexuality have stopped being spread. Some girls eye me strangely in the hall, and the lesbians from The Corner are awfully friendly to me, which I appreciate, but life still feels weird. I hope these feelings will dissipate over the summer months and everyone will find something else to gossip about.

Juliet has also been avoiding our lunch group, though she at least still makes eye contact and quietly says hi from time to time in the small times we cross paths. I suppose I haven't written her off entirely. I am not sure where our friendship stands this day and age. Abigail and Hazel, of course, are still by my side, just where I expected them to stay.

And then there's Aurora. I've barely had time to tell her about all that has happened in my friend group recently. We've spent a limited amount of time together lately, and I'm growing desperate to see her again. After all, it's been over a week since the last time I kissed her, and I'm growing antsy. I just want a hug at least.

Finally, it seems we are set to walk home together. We mostly speak about school, but wanting to talk to her more, I suggest we stop off at the park.

"The park? Won't there be kids playing?" Aurora mumbles.

"We can just go stand under that big oak tree and talk. I'm not going to kiss you, if that's what you're worried about," I tell her, even if I desperately want to. The longer I go without seeing her, the more I desire her.

"Well, okay. But we shouldn't stay long. I have a lot of homework to do, and I'm sure you do as well."

"Agreed," I say.

The park is only a few blocks extra from our homes. There are only a few kids out playing while their parents or babysitters watch from afar. I walk with her across the lawn, toward where the large oak tree stands. It's near the fence, far away from most other people in the park. No one should be able to hear our conversation over here. Normally, I would offer for her to come home with me, but I doubt I'll have any privacy there, and I don't want to beg Aurora to let me come over to her house again.

"I found out which one of my friends spread the rumors," I admit as I lean my body against the trunk of the tree.

"Who?" she asks.

"Allison. The blonde one. I should've known. We haven't been getting along well in the last few months, and when I told her...she didn't take it well. I just thought I at least knew her better than that," I admit.

"I'm sorry, Callie."

"At least Juliet didn't tell anyone. She's still been distant though, not to mention my house is still slightly awkward, and...ugh," I groan. I realize I'm more ranting to myself than Aurora at this point, and I also realize there's not much she can offer except her condolences, so I try to shift the conversation into something else. "Hey, prom's in a few weeks," I say.

"Oh, that's right. I still need to get my dress hemmed."

"You already picked out a dress?!"

"You didn't? The mall runs out of dresses fast. You better go soon," Aurora says. She wrings her fingers through her hair, pulling it up for a moment before letting her hair fall back down to her shoulders.