Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The drive to Stanford was pretty fun for Skylar and Kyle. They bought several Monster Energy drinks and Sour Patch Kids packs for the not so long trip, which really wasn't healthy at all, but they were happy. They blasted Fall Out Boy the entire way there, and sang at the top of their lungs. Skylar was really enjoying that moment with her best friend, and was sad that she wouldn't be seeing him as often as she wanted to. 

Kyle was pretty much the same age as her, but unlike her, was not going to law school. He would be going back to Chicago soon to finish up his degree in psychology. 

Skylar had to admit that it was scary moving to California from Illinois. She knew no one - well, except for Ian, but come on! Did he really count? Skylar doubted Ian and her would speak ever again. She knew that she had to focus on school and making sure that she was at the top of her class to get any offers from top-notch law firms. Plus, it wasn't like she could take time out of her studies to make that 30-40 minute drive to San Francisco, and surely Ian wouldn't want to do it. Although, she would love to see Emily again. That little girl was a sweetheart.

Stanford was everything Skylar imagined it would be. The campus was beautiful and there were students walking around, talking to each other, laughing. It was amazing. Northwestern had been great! But Stanford had always been her dream school, the only reason she hadn't gone there for undergraduate study being that she wasn't ready to leave her home yet. But now she was in Stanford! Not quite sure if she was fully ready, but she knew it was time to prove herself.

She would be staying in the dormitories, Munger Hall to be exact, which wasn't so bad. Her plan was to move into an apartment for herself later on. Plus, most of the law school students lived in the same residence hall. Her new dorm room was much bigger than the one she had resided in while at Northwestern. 

It eased her mind knowing that she would just be living with fellow law students whom she could connect with. All the same working towards the same goal, and at least then everyone could understand each other better. She doubted living with a music or theater major would help her get much studying done. Not that there was anything wrong with music or theater majors. 

She had a roommate, she noticed when settling into her dorm room. She knew because there was already a lot of stuff in the room, and the bed closest to the door was already made. It just so happened that her roommate was not there.

"If your roommate it hot, put in good word for me," Kyle said, plopping down on her bed.

Skylar rolled her eyes. "Of course, Kyle. Because I want to see you hooking up with my roommate, break her heart, and have her hate me for the rest of the year!"

"Hey, cool it with the sarcasm, yeah?"

"I thought I wasn't going to have a roommate," she said. "When I got all the info in the mail, it just gave me my room number, no roommate name."

Kyle sighed. "Oh well, maybe it's fate using you to find my soul mate."

"Ha ha," Skylar sarcastically input.

Kyle was nice enough to help her unpack and settle into her dorm. She was quick to set up her desk with her laptop, printer, and all the usual necessities that she would be needing for her stay as a law student. Surprisingly, Kyle did a pretty good job putting her clothes away, even going as far as organizing it by category - something that she wouldn't have done. The gesture was greatly appreciated. 

"So you're a law school student now," Kyle said, rummaging through the bag of snacks they'd picked up on the way.

Skylar sighed. "Yeah, I am."