Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

After the whole Gregg betraying her and breaking her little, fragile heart, Skylar had no choice but to go to school. She wished that a hole in the ground would open up and swallow her. But that didn't happen. The whole school knew what Gregg had done to her. Even the teachers. And as if that weren't bad enough, her parents were notified of the situation.

The school principal, Mr. Neeson, and her counselor, Mr. Hamilton, held a meeting with her. Mr. Hamilton was a nice guy in his early thirties, he cared about his students, and made sure to help them as much as he could. He'd been really nice to her since everything went down. Mr. Neeson hadn't been the same way.

"Miss Grant," the principal began, "yesterday, topless pictures of you were posted around the whole school. In one of those pictures it was clearly evident that you had been in bed with another male student."

Skylar wanted to laugh. Yeah. He was pretty much just stating the obvious. He should have saved himself the time because it was an unimportant meeting.

"I just need to ask you one thing." Mr. Neeson looked at her with a stony face. "Were you aware that these pictures would be posted?"

"Of course not!" she yelled. What the hell did he think? That she was in on Gregg's plan the whole time, that she would willingly humiliate herself? Why wasn't he talking to Gregg instead of her? She was the victim here!

"Were you and Mr. Gregg Peters dating?" he asked.

Well, no s.hit. "Yes, Mr. Neeson. Gregg and I had been dating."

He nodded. "Did you do anything to get him mad?"

"No."

"Are you sure?" he asked. "Boys do irrational things when their girls talk to other guys. Had you been flirting with other guys? Did you do anything that would cause him to get jealous. Boys these days do dumb things when they're jealous."

Skylar had not been expecting those words. Not at all. Mr. Neeson was making it seem as if it was her fault that Gregg decided to hurt her. Like she deserved to be publicly humiliated. As if she deserved to be punished. She had not asked for any of this. Her only mistake was letting her foolish emotions get the best of her. For letting herself be controlled by a guy that claimed to have loved her.

She shook her head. "No...I never did any of that." At that point she was blinking back tears. Of course everyone would claim it was her fault.

"Are you sure you didn't do anything to get him mad?" Mr. Neeson asked again. "Maybe you did something that caused him to do that. There should be a simple reason behind this."

Mr. Hamilton cleared his throat and his kind, blue eyes met hers. "Skylar, none of this is your fault." He turned to Mr. Neeson. "The only reason behind this is that Gregg manipulated Skylar into trusting him when she was in a vulnerable state in her life. He decided to betray her and humiliate her because, Mr. Neeson, Gregg Peters is an as.shole."

Mr. Hamilton was liked by pretty much the entire school. She was lucky to have him as a counselor. He was young and attractive and nice, a lot of girls had a crush on him. And maybe she had been one of those girls for a time, until Gregg came along that is. He was nice. He was understanding. Skylar really respected him.

"Mr. Hamilton, there is no need for such foul language," Mr. Neeson snapped.

"Well, there's also need to make a young girl feel guilty in a situation she's obviously the victim in," Mr. Hamilton responded. "None of this is her fault. The only culprit here is Gregg and I hope you take immediate action in his expulsion from this school."