Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Kyle was completely done for the day. First, the girl he thought had only been a one-night-stand kept on sending him text after text after he had been completely honest with her about his intentions. She had been completely okay with it last night.

You can't trust women, he thought.

Second, his best friend confessed to him that she had very strong feelings towards his cousin. Was he surprised? Yes! He'd noticed that they'd gotten along well, he never thought it would escalate that far. Leave it to Skylar to crush on an older relative of his!

And now, his dear cousin was calling him. His excuse? He wanted to speak about Skylar. He knew where this was going and he didn't really want to get too into it. He'd never been the romantic type.

"You fucker," he said, rolling his eyes.

"Uh...what?" Ian asked, a confused tone to his voice.

"What happened with Skylar?" he demanded, not really wanting to hear the details. Oh well. Too late.

"I kissed her today," he said.

He cringed. "You know when I said that you needed to find yourself a woman, I didn't mean my best friend!"

If things between them didn't turn out great he would be stuck between them, and that was just an awkward position he didn't want to be in. 

"I am aware of that," Ian explained. "I couldn't really help it you know. She's so smart and beautiful and charming. It's not hard to fall for her. I tried to keep my distance, but it's hard, Kyle. It's hard."

Kyle contained a chuckle, not wanting to joke around about his situation. But it was still funny.

"I'm sure it is," he muttered.

"What?" Ian asked.

"Nothing," Kyle replied. "I don't know what to tell you, man. Do you regret kissing my best friend?"

"I don't appreciate your judgmental tone," Ian pointed out. "But to answer your question, I don't regret it. I just don't know what to do now."

"Did she say anything?"

"No. We kind of both just left after that."

"You didn't think of anything to say?" Kyle asked. "Not even an, 'Oh, I'm sorry, I kissed you. But did you like it? Were you okay with it?'"

"Did I call you at a bad time?" Ian asked.

"You're a dumbass," Kyle retorted.

Skylar arrived at her apartment in a daze. She was really confused. She didn't know how to feel. Ian had kissed her. Really kissed her. And she'd kissed him back because that was all she ever wanted. He called her his. And she liked the thought of that. 

But it still didn't take away the fact that it had been a s.hitty ending to a kiss. They'd both just walked away! Who does that? Oh, right. Her! And Ian apparently. They should have stayed. They should have talked about it. She should have said something to him! But she didn't. And now she was wondering how she would face him the next day considering the day's events.

Maybe she should have called Kyle, ask him for advice, but she didn't want to bother him. He was probably asleep at the moment. That was a conversation for another day. So she just tried (and failed) to put it at the back of her mind and try to get some sleep.

Even though Kyle had made a lot of snaky remarks, he still gave Ian advice and made him think. Ian was so close to turning thirty, he was already an adult, he had to start acting like one. He shouldn't be acting like a little school boy, afraid of talking to the girl he likes. It was time be the man and confront his feelings, and yes, have a very serious talk with her about their future together - that was, if she wanted one with him.