Chapter 17 - White Dress

Sitting on the train with Evan, Severus and Barty was strange. This was the last time Evan and Severus would ever catch the train with them. It was a little sad. This was it for them. They were heading out into the world now.

As the group sat in the compartment, just talking, Amaryllis realised just how close they were getting to Kings Cross Station. It wasn't long now.

She mumbled to the group that she had better change before getting up and heading out towards the toilets. She made it there no problem, changed into the robes she knew Walburga would want her to be in, and headed back to her carriage.

Then she was stopped.

"Liz, can I talk to you?" She heard Sirius ask from behind her.

She stopped, considered what he's asked before turning around nodding at him. It was only fair to hear him out. This would probably be the last time she'd see him. So there were no troubles.

"What is it Sirius?" She asked politely.

He motioned to the compartment his friends were sitting in.

"Sorry." He said to her. "For everything that happened. I, we, shouldn't have pushed you away like that when you were sorted into Slytherin."

"I understand why you did." She said her thoughts quickly shifting to the mark on her arm, yet she made no move whatsoever to indicate its presence. "The separation between Gryffindor and Slytherin would have made it too difficult for a proper friendship. Just look at Lily and Severus."

The whole group of boys were silent.

"So, you and Reggie." Sirius joked.

"It was Walburga's idea." Amaryllis explained. "You may have been disowned but you'll still be my brother-in-law. If I can't find a way out of it that is. You can owl me if you need anything."

"Likewise." He responded.

The two smiled at one another before Sirius pulled her in for a hug. They were to be family regardless of how anyone else saw Sirius' position. They pulled apart and Amaryllis moved towards the door.

She'd opened the door and was about to leave when she turned her head, looked at Sirius and said, "He misses you; you know. He didn't want things to happen like they did. Remember that."

With that she left hoping that her words would resonate with him. Knowing the things she was involved in she knew she might need his help one day.

She headed back to her compartment, a much more solemn look on her face.

"You alright?" Evan asked her as she sat back down.

"Fine." She said. "Just saying goodbye to someone."

"Are you going to be like this when we get to the platform?" Severus asked.

No one could tell if he was actually curious or if he hoped she wouldn't be.

"Possibly." She told them. "I'll miss you guys."

"You'll still see us." Evan told her. "It's not like we're just going to disappear."

"True. But Hogwarts will still be different." She said.

"Try to enjoy it." Evan told her.

She smiled and they all let out a small laugh at how sad she seemed. It was strange. She was never like this. They all wondered if maybe something else was going on.

*****

While Regulus liked Narcissa well enough her constant presence at Grimmauld Place was starting to become rather irritating. While he knew the reason she was there he wasn't with it. He wasn't ready for the wedding, even if it was close to six months away.