Chapter 13 - Familiar Taste of Poison

Lucinda had been positively over the moon when Amaryllis had told her about Corbin. Amaryllis was unsure as to why though as it meant the chance of Amaryllis and Regulus getting married, as they were intended to, was diminishing slightly. But only slightly.

Amaryllis was partially hoping that maybe things with Corbin would work out better than how she had left things with Regulus. Then Regulus could find some pureblood girl and they would all be happy together. Exactly how he had suggested.

But she also knew that the likelihood of that happening and everything being perfect was slim. The life of Amaryllis Merrin didn't work like that. The world didn't want her to live a happy life.

Amaryllis and Corbin started spending more time together without their friends, in places that other people could see them of course. She was still trying to follow Walburga's rules after all. They enjoyed spending time together. At first it had been a little strange, awkward at times, but slowly it had become more natural. They were both happy.

Regulus was not thrilled to hear about their relationship. Once again he was mad at himself for pushing her away. But he was discovering that the one thing he wanted more than anything was for her to be happy. That was the one thing in the forefront of his mind. He wanted her to be happy.

The world around them seemed to be moving faster than they liked. Nearly two months had passed since they came back to Hogwarts yet it felt as though they had only arrived the previous day. Amaryllis could feel herself moving without thinking. It was like her brain no longer needed it to tell her what to do. She was just travelling on autopilot.

Due to the developments over the summer Amaryllis and Regulus found themselves meeting in a dark classroom in the dead of night with Severus Snape and Evan Rosier every now and then. They were talking more than anything. There wasn't anything they could do while they were still at Hogwarts. All they did was sit and await orders.

Sometimes reports about what each of them was up to at school would be taken down. The Dark Lord wanted to know how the students he had recruited were doing. It gave him a sense of pride knowing that he was recruiting intelligent people to assist his cause.

Amaryllis felt bad that she couldn't tell Corbin about the night time meetings she was attending. She knew he worried about her and she felt bad for lying to him. That was what had gotten her into the mess with Regulus. But it wasn't like she was allowed to tell Corbin anything. He wasn't one of them. So technically it wasn't her fault. Although something made her think that he wouldn't see it like that.

Corbin knew Regulus was sneaking off at night. He had watched his friend leave the dorm every single time. The thing that bugged him the most was the night he had followed Regulus as far as the common room. Corbin had watched Regulus leaved the common room and venture out into the halls. He had no problems with that. Regulus could do as he pleased.

The problems started when soon after Regulus had left he saw Amaryllis sneak out after him. Corbin didn't know what to think. She had said the only person she couldn't lie to was Regulus and yet she had. Based on the way she'd phrased her sentence made it seem to Corbin that she had already lied to him. So there was no way he could ask her about this.

Perhaps asking Regulus would be the best option. He didn't think Regulus was as proficient at lying as Amaryllis was. She had a natural skill that others couldn't seem to master.

"Regulus you have some explaining to do." Corbin said to Regulus when he re-entered the dorm after his midnight journey who knows where.

"Corbin?" Regulus asked. "What are you still doing up?"

"I know you've been going out at night." Corbin admitted.

"What would make you think that?" Regulus responded.