nine

Chapter nine

Mallie Reynolds

Mallie Reynolds

    "Hey mom," I say, bringing the phone to my ear. All my friends were doing the same.

"Your sister showed me pictures she saw all over Twitter of you and some guy. Your cousins and aunts have been calling me nonstop about it. Who is this guy and what is going on?"

"Let's put them all on speaker and talk to them at the same time," Cecilla tells all of us.

That's the best option right now, I guess. We could all talk to them together and explain everything.

"One second Mom," I tell her, taking my phone off my ear. I set it down on the coffee table and put my mom on speaker. Everyone else does the same and we put our phones close together.

"Alright. Y'all are all on speaker," I tell them.

"Explain yourselves girls," McKayla's mom says.

McKayla rolls her eyes.

"We all went out last night and met some singers-" I start.

"Wait you went out on your first night there?" My mom asks. Ok and what's the problem with that?

"You girls aren't even fully moved in yet," Laura's mom says.

"And you also know no one there! That could have been really dangerous girls," Cecilla's mom adds.

The four of us look at eachother. It's annoying that our moms call about one thing but are now lecturing us on something completely different. I think they forget we are 22 years old.

"Do y'all want to hear the rest of the fucking story or not? We haven't even gotten time to explain ourselves," Cecilla says.

"Watch your mouth, Cecilla," her mom yells at her.

All of us laugh quietly. She was brave to cuss in front of all of them. If I would have said that, my mom would have driven all the way up here just to slap me.

There was an awkward pause after that and we all just stared at each other.

"Is someone going to talk or do we need to fly up there?" McKayla's mom asks us.

"No mother, that will not be necessary," McKayla says, rolling her eyes again. I have to cover up my mouth to stop myself from laughing. "Mallie, continue the damn story," she whispers at me.