𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐝𝐫𝐮𝐧𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐠𝐢𝐠𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐬

[ xiv

[ xiv. drunken giggles ]

october 26th, 2010

➸➸➸

ASTRID'S EYES WIDENED, ONCE again in awe, as she stepped into the room filled with vast computers and advanced technology. It was a sight she had never imagined she would witness again after the world had fallen apart. However, her amazement quickly turned to disappointment as she realized the room was deserted. There was not a single person to man any of the dozens of computers that surrounded her. The place was entirely devoid of any signs of human life.

Surely this was only an unused room, Astrid tried again to reassure herself. There had to be other survivors around here . . . somewhere.

Jenner led them deeper into the odd space. As Astrid and the others walked down a short ramp, the cold steel floor beneath their feet added to the dourness of the atmosphere. "Vi," He called out, "turn on the lights in the big room!" On command, more overhead lights flickered on. As Astrid trailed toward the center of the room, she let her fingertips run absentmindedly over one of the computer's dusty keyboards. It had been so long since she had been on the internet. It had been so, so long since she had even seen a computer at all.

But as she continued to look around, her anticipation could not be contained any longer. "Where is everyone?" Astrid wondered. "The staff? Other survivors?"

At her questions, Jenner's softened expression vanished. "It's just me," He admitted.

Astrid frowned. That could not be right. It was simply not possible. There had to be others. How could Jenner have survived in this place so long without any help? "What about that woman you were just talking to?" She prodded. "Vi?"

Jenner chuckled dryly and he looked up at the ceiling. "Vi, say hello to our guests," He commanded. "Tell them . . . 'Welcome.'"

"Hello, guests. Welcome."

A computerized voice filled the room, and its blatant lifelessness sent shivers down Astrid's spine. The truth hit her like a punch to the stomach, leaving her breathless. Jenner was telling the truth. There was no one here but the cold machines and the doctor himself.

Jenner's revelation hung in the air like a heavy cloud, suffocating the small group of survivors. He looked at them carefully, gauging their reactions. "I'm all that's left. I'm sorry if you were expecting others," He apologized. Jenner's attempt at sincerity only accentuated the emptiness in his voice. It was as if life had been drained from him long ago, leaving behind a hollow shell. Astrid's brain screamed at her to demand more answers, to question how he had managed to survive on his own for so long. But she bit her tongue and instead watched as he crossed the still room and went over to another set of double doors. Upon realizing that no one followed him, Jenner glanced back over his shoulder. "Come," He urged. "Let's go take your blood tests."