𝐱𝐥𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰

[ xliii

[ xliii. a loss tomorrow ]

june 30th, 2011

➸➸➸

ASTRID LANCASTER AWOKE TO a cascade of rough kisses, a sensual trail from the tender tip of her ear down to the inviting curve of her shoulder. A smile tugged at her lips despite the sudden jolt from slumber. She kept her eyes closed, surrendering to the embrace of Daryl's arms that cinched around her waist, molding her against the warmth of his chest. In a heartbeat, a firm hand gripped her chin, turning her head ever so slightly, and before she could even part her eyelids, Daryl's lips descended upon hers. It took several heartbeats to shake off the remnants of drowsiness and respond to the fiery kiss, but as their lips parted, she found herself breathless, a sweet surrender to the dawn's intimate awakening.

Burying her face back in the softness of her pillow, she felt Daryl shake beside her with a quiet chuckle. "Mornin'," His gravelly voice greeted.

"Good morning," She replied, her voice a mere murmur. Daryl's hands danced in an absentminded rhythm over her back and shoulders as she slowly and properly woke.

Eventually, Daryl withdrew, rising from the narrow mattress in a languid ascent that she soon mirrored. A blanket still draped over her shoulders, she felt the warmth of his gaze on her as he slipped into a shirt. With a beckoning hand extended towards her, he coaxed, "C'mon," He said. "We've still got to get this place set up before it can be a home."

Astrid's response was measured. "It already is a home."

Daryl nodded. "I know," He replied, his hand still outstretched to her. "But we've got work to do anyway."

She sighed, a yielding exhale that acknowledged the reality of their circumstances. With reluctance, she finally threaded her fingers through Daryl's, allowing him to pull her from beneath the warm sheets. Swiftly, she slipped into fresh clothes and secured her hair into a ponytail to take on the day. Her weapon found its place nestled within her waistband, and a tiny knife found a home in her back pocket. With Daryl at her side, she departed down the catwalk steps, the air still with an unusual hush that signaled the cell block's relative emptiness.

"Where is everyone?" She questioned.

"They're already out and workin'," Daryl explained. "Since I figured you needed the rest, I let you sleep in a bit. Wasn't goin' to leave you alone, so I got some extra shut-eye myself."

A soft smile tugged at the corners of Astrid's lips. "Thank you." She said as she glanced towards him. "So, you're joining Rick and Glenn to gather firewood, right?" It was more of a statement than a question, and his affirmation came in the form of a nod. "Well, be careful. I'm going to check in on Hershel, and then I promised Maggie I'd help her move some of our vehicles to the courtyard."

"Sure thing." Daryl chuckled. "Just make sure you don't run your own damn foot over or somethin'." His humor elicited an eye roll from Astrid, and his smirk only grew as he recollected his crossbow and swung the well-worn weapon over his shoulder. "I'll see you later."