𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐜𝐡𝐮𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐫𝐚

[ xxii

[ xxii. chupacabra ]

october 31st, 2010

➸➸➸

ASTRID TRAILED AFTER DARYL through the trees and found her attention set upon how delicately the burly hunter held the pure Cherokee Rose to his chest.  They soon broke through the tree line and saw the familiar giant farmhouse rising up in the distance. The sun had nearly set on the property, casting long shadows across its land.

In silence, they traversed the vast field and slipped between gaps in the barbed fences, growing nearer to civilization.  All around, Astrid's group members were seeking refuge for the night, finalizing their tents in the makeshift camp.  But this place held more than just temporary shelter.  With Fort Benning still so far away, the Greene farm was their only sanctuary now.

As she and Daryl came onto the front lawn, the former watched from a distance as Carol disappeared inside the RV.  "You should go give that to her now," she said to the hunter, pointing towards the Peletier woman's direction.

Daryl's expression was unreadable.  "You comin'?" He asked her.

Astrid shook her head.  "No, you go on ahead. She might appreciate it more coming from you," She said, her true fears hidden deep inside. The Lancaster woman was fearful of Carol's heartbroken gaze falling upon her, and dreaded the thought of facing the grieving mother, feeling like a constant reminder of Sophia's disappearance. "I'm going to go check on Carl and see how he's doing."

Daryl nodded mutely, and then walked off towards the RV without a farewell glance back. Astrid watched him go until he had vanished from sight into the mobile home, a wave of anxiety washing over her.  How might Carol react?  Would she hate the gift?  Rip it up in the hunter's face? 

Astrid did not want to think about it. In the dying light, she turned towards the farmhouse where Glenn and Maggie were talking on the porch's front steps. She gave Glenn a small smile as she walked past them, trying to push her concerns to the back of her mind.  After all, it was nice to see that at least one in their group was attempting to branch out and connect with the Greene family.

Astrid walked through the front screen door and made her way through the foyer, and down the hallway toward the bedroom that had the most voices coming from it.  Seeing the door was ajar, she slightly pushed it open, and found the Grimes family reunited.  Lori and Rick were sitting at Carl's bedside as he spoke softly to them.  Astrid's heart clenched at the sight of the young, bedridden boy—his entire exposed abdomen bandaged and wrapped from a bullet to the stomach—who had endured so much pain and terror already.

At the sound of her entry, Rick lifted his head, "Hey, Astrid," He greeted with a tired smile.

She nodded to both him and Lori, and then slowly made her way over to Carl's other bedside.  The boy eagerly turned to look at her as Astrid settled into her seat beside his head.  "How are you doing, little man?" She questioned gently.