𝐥𝐯𝐢. 𝐢𝐭 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐞

[ lvi

[ lvi. it should have been me ]

july 13th, 2011

➸➸➸

LOSING SOMEONE WAS A torment Astrid Lancaster could not escape, no matter how hard she tried.

Amidst the relentless waves of death and destruction that had engulfed her life, she had naively believed it might eventually get easier. Yet, cruelly, reality proved her wrong at every turn. The death of Andrea Harrison cut deeper than any wound she had faced in recent months. Every time she closed her eyes, she was haunted by the vivid memory of that fatal bullet piercing Andrea's head, extinguishing her light forever. It was a cruel image etched into her mind, an indelible scar on her soul.

As Astrid held to Daryl's warm waist, the morning air drifted her back to the present. She leaned her head onto his sturdy shoulder and watched as the prison loomed in the distance, bathed in the dawn's glow. Her hunter had led the way back from Woodbury, a convoy of vehicles trailing behind them—a truck and a large school bus.

Following the loss of Andrea and the Governor's mysterious disappearance, Rick had faced an excruciating decision: to welcome the people of Woodbury back into the safety of the prison's walls or abandon them to their own devices. The group's composition was diverse, featuring not only able-bodied individuals but also young children and the elderly. Doubts coiled in Astrid, especially considering their already meager food supply. Still, humanity demanded that they not let these people suffer for crimes they had not committed. The prospect of accommodating thirty additional mouths to feed loomed, but they would have to make it work.

They had no other choice.

Upon their arrival at the prison gates, Astrid's original group waited, their wary eyes scrutinizing the occupants of the large bus. The creaking of the gates echoed through the courtyard as they swung open, granting entry to their newfound companions.

Daryl brought his motorcycle to a halt near the entrance to their cell block, and Astrid dismounted, standing tall as Maggie cautiously approached them. "Did everything go okay?" The latter woman inquired. Astrid responded with a silent nod, her gaze fixed elsewhere, and Maggie gently laid a hand on her arm. "Astrid?" She pressed for a verbal response.

"Everything's fine," Daryl muttered, speaking on Astrid's behalf as he remained seated on his bike.

Maggie, seemingly unimpressed by Daryl's terseness, turned away. Her eyes fell upon the residents of Woodbury, being escorted from the bus under the watchful attention of Tyreese and Sasha. Carol, Hershel, and Beth, too, hurried forward, extending warm welcomes. However, the rest of the group remained cautious.

Rick and Carl soon joined Astrid and Daryl's sides. Irritation etched across Carl's youthful face as he glared at the newcomers with disdain. "What is this?" He questioned.