𝐯𝐢. 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐲

[ vi

[ vi. attempted apology ]

october 24th, 2010

➸➸➸

ASTRID LANCASTER KEPT HER heated head down as she trudged toward camp with her bloodied arms folded tightly over her chest. Kicking dirt up as she dragged her feet up the steep hill, she could see Daryl Dixon faintly on the outskirts of her vision, still shouting out for Merle. Even when he finally disappeared from her sight again, heading in the direction of the tent settlement, his loud and obnoxious voice still echoed off the trees.

Annoyance—and then reluctant guilt prodded at Astrid as she thought about Daryl. Truthfully, she had no idea what they were going to tell him regarding the status of his older brother. Hell. They had not even fully decided on even who was going to be the one to say anything at all! From over her shoulder, the men that trailed behind from the clearing were arguing fervidly, their voices clashing with frustration. They were all running out of time to come clean, and Astrid could feel the uncertainty mounting with every step they took closer camp—and to the truth.

"You know," Astrid finally said, slowing her pace so that she had rejoined the men. "Maybe I should just tell him."

Rick Grimes shook his head sternly. "No. This has nothing to do with you," He protested. "Besides," he sent her a wary glance, "you've already pissed him off. We don't need you getting hurt by saying the wrong thing to him." He relented tightly and added, "I'll tell him."

"No," T-Dog argued vehemently, overhearing their conversation as they exited the edge of the clearing's tree line. "It's my fault Merle's still up there."

"Why are we still arguing over this?" Glenn muttered hopelessly. "Someone, just tell him!"

A heavy sigh escaped Astrid's lips as she caught sight of Daryl again. He had returned to the light and was moving back and forth amongst the center of camp, ravaging its contents as he shouted to endless others, demanding answers to his brother's whereabouts. Gradually, his questioning turned to blatant profanities and curses. His behavior was growing more and more erratic until Rick was left with no choice but to intervene. Astrid braced as the sheriff stepped towards Daryl, her mind racing nervously for what was to come.

"Merle isn't here."

Daryl spun sharply at Rick's open confession. Suddenly, his wild movements ceased altogether. Astrid could not breathe, for they were all standing in the eye now. "What're you talking about?" He questioned.

"There was an accident in Atlanta," Rick informed, his voice somehow still steady and calm, even beneath the weight of Daryl's growing, malicious glare.

Suddenly, the anger in the restless man's eyes shifted. Perhaps it was only because of how close Astrid still stood to Rick, but now, the hunter's rigidity bore into her own soul, seemingly accusing her, too, of holding all the answers he desired. "Is he dead?" He demanded of her.