𝐥𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐮𝐬

[ liii

[ liii. others like us ]

july 9th, 2011

➸➸➸

ASTRID HELD TIGHTLY TO Daryl's torso as his motorcycle roared to a halt outside a decrepit feed store. Her eyes darted upward, tracing the silhouette of rusty silos and crumbling buildings that loomed above them. She then stole a glance behind, catching sight of Rick and Hershel in a vehicle trailing closely. With a swift dismount, she crossed towards Rick's side, Daryl following her closely, while Hershel remained inside the vehicle, his firearm gripped firmly, poised for action.

In a wordless exchange, Daryl set into action, stalking toward the ominous buildings, with Rick shadowing his every move. Astrid followed behind them, her grip on her own new assault rifle strong, her senses heightened as she scoured the surroundings for any sign of danger.

Today marked a precarious rendezvous between Rick and the treacherous Governor, a man whose trustworthiness hung by a thread. For all they knew, they could be walking headlong into an ambush.

At least, they were slightly better prepared for an attack now. Two days ago, Rick, Carl, and Michone had scored greatly in new weaponry—guns, knives, grenades, and even another crossbow—all found on an out-of-town supply run.

Those new firearms certainly aided them now. Silently traversing through the deadened yard, Daryl abruptly stopped beside a lifeless walker. Astrid knelt down to examine the fresh blood oozing from its face, then rose to her feet. "It's fresh," She whispered uneasily. "We're not alone."

Rick acknowledged her observation with a subtle nod, signaling his intent to investigate the rear of a nearby rusted barn. His next gesture conveyed that he wanted Daryl and Astrid to explore the other side. The Lancaster woman nodded in understanding as she moved alongside her hunter. They reached their vantage point just below a shattered window only minutes later, Astrid peering inside with Daryl's breath hot on her neck as he hovered behind her. Her eyes widened upon the sight of Rick, who held the Governor at gunpoint. Scanning the barn, she discerned that no one else was inside save the two men.

From her concealed spot, Astrid overheard the Governor's voice, a sinister tone that sent shivers down her spine. "I'm going to remove my weapon to show that I mean to negotiate in good faith," He said. "I'd like you to do the same."

Astrid narrowly watched as the Governor slowly placed his gun on the floor, while Rick, with evident reluctance, holstered his own weapon. Their lips moved in quieter conversation now, their words rendered almost inaudible to her. As Astrid meticulously set the barrel of her rifle on the window's ledge, Daryl's grip on her shoulder tightened. "C'mon," He urged in a hushed tone. "We need to get back to Hershel."

She hesitated, fearful to leave Rick alone with the Governor. But she knew he could protect himself. Astrid finally exhaled, and crept away from the barn, trailing Daryl back towards the road, where Hershel awaited their return. As they approached the vehicle, the driver's side window rolled down, and Hershel's anxious eyes met theirs, awaiting news.