𝐥𝐢. 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬

[ li

[ li. never in a million years ]

july 3rd, 2011

➸➸➸

"DARYL?" ASTRID GASPED, IN disbelief.

In the grand scheme of things, Astrid Lancaster had never once imagined that she would lay eyes on her hunter again so soon. It felt as though a haunting hallucination had returned to her, a spectral tormentor sent to deliver the painful message that his love had not been enough. But there he stood, Daryl Dixon, her best friend and the undeniable love of her life, standing just an arm's length away.

Daryl's lips curled as he beheld Astrid, and she found herself on the verge of returning the gesture. Almost—for she remained ensnared in a frigid trance, her heart torn in two, divided between rage and sweet relief.

First, an inferno festered within Astrid, infuriated that they had ever been separated, that Daryl had abandoned her, in the first place. But then, a bubbling of pure joy welled up, for Daryl was back. He may have left her, but now, he had returned to his rightful place. He had come home.

Astrid's fists clenched at her sides, her fingers trembling with the urge to unleash her frustration on the man who had inflicted so much pain, not just on her, but on all those he had left behind. But she knew that such anger was unfair. She did not want to fight again. She wanted simply to be with him, to reunite with him.

Astrid's chest heaved as a sob finally erupted, propelling her forward until she practically leaped into Daryl's arms. He held her fiercely, lifting her momentarily off the ground. As he gently set her down again, she buried her face into his torso, and his lips brushed against her hair. Their bodies melded together easily, and Astrid was engulfed in a warmth she had not known since he had left.

Daryl rested his head atop Astrid's. He nuzzled in. "Hey, babe," He whispered, his hands caressing her back.

It was such a simple response. So characteristically him. Astrid could only shake her head, her emotions swirling out of control. She fought back another cry as she finally pulled away and enveloped his neck in her arms. In their private sanctuary, their own little universe, Daryl offered a small smile as he gazed down into her eyes before reaching up to cradle her face in his calloused hands. His thumbs traced her cheekbones, and then he captured her lips with his.

Astrid kissed her hunter until her prior apology suddenly reverberated in her mind, and she swiftly pulled back, placing her hands firmly on his forearms. "I'm so sorry," She said remorsefully. "For everything."

Daryl tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry, too," He admitted. "I shouldn't have left like that. I'm not leavin' you again." Astrid seemed to blossom as she leaned into his chest once more. Daryl dug into the crook of her shoulder, placing several delicate kisses along her neck.