𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐲

[ xxxvii

[ xxxvii. the art of democracy ]

november 16th, 2010

➸➸➸

NOT LONG AFTER THEY had abandoned the interstate, Astrid Lancaster found herself dismounting from the back of Daryl's motorcycle again, her confused gaze drawn back to her other group members as they, too, emerged from their own vehicles. A sudden blare of Rick's horn had brought the convoy to an unexpected halt, yet the reasons remained unknown. Now, stranded on that isolated stretch of road, any hope of reaching their next refuge seemed to have been forgotten.

Astrid turned to face Rick as he approached, a question burning in her eyes. "What's the matter?" She asked. Her breath was visible in the cool air.

"The car's out of gas," He explained. "Been running on fumes.

"We can't stay here," Maggie protested. Her eyes were scanning the woodland surroundings closely, as if searching for an escape.

Glenn interjected. "We can't all fit in one car," He pointed out.

"We'll have to make a run for some gas in the morning," Rick decided.

"So, we're spending the night here?" Astrid prompted.

"Dad, I'm freezing," Carl whimpered, trembling as the harsh bite of winter clawed at his tiny form. He leaned into his mother as she stood behind him, seeking her warmth against the cold.

"We'll build a fire," Lori soothed softly. Meanwhile, Rick took off the coat and passed it to his son.

Daryl was watchful as he eyed the two parents. Then he looked to Astrid and those beyond her. "If you go out lookin' for firewood, stay close," The hunter cautioned. "I've only got so many arrows. How you doin' on ammo, Rick?"

"Not enough," The sheriff grumbled.

Maggie frowned as the state of their being settled harshly upon them. "Well, we can't just sit here with our asses hanging out," She muttered.

"Watch your mouth," Hershel chided his eldest daughter. "Everyone needs to stop panicking and listen to Rick."

All eyes turned to the leader of their homeless group, a universal plea for direction and safety. Rick met their stares head-on, gun drawn from his holster. "We'll set up a perimeter tonight," He decided. "In the morning, we'll look for more supplies. Then we push on."

Astrid stepped forward. "Could Daryl and I go now?" She volunteered. "Look for some more fuel?"

Rick shook his head sternly. "No, we stay together," He commanded. "God forbid something happens, and people get stranded without a car."

"Rick, we're stranded now."

A heavy sigh, a moment of weakness, escaped the sheriff. "I know it looks bad. We've all been through hell and worse, but at least we found each other." Rick's voice wavered. "I wasn't sure we would. I really wasn't. But we did, and now we're together. We're going to keep it that way. Okay? We'll find shelter somewhere. There's got to be a place."