𝐱𝐱. 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠

[ xx

[ xx. could be something ]

october 30th, 2010

➸➸➸

IN THE DEPTHS OF the forest, a single gunshot had shattered the silence, its deafening echo rippling through the trees.  For a moment, the group froze upon the startling, near-paralyzing sound.  Yet, when it was clear it had not been fired in their direction, Astrid and the others pressed on through the wood, continuing their journey back to the highway.

However, some were more easily able to ignore the cold, defining promise of a bullet fired than others.  Lori Grimes' persistent questions hung heavy in the air like a harbinger of doom, refusing to be silenced. 

"Why one gunshot?" She asked again.

"Maybe they took down a walker?" Glenn offered, sparing a glance back at the woman as he walked beside Astrid.

Lori shook her head fiercely, her concern unshakeable. "No, Rick and Shane would have taken it down quietly," She insisted. "Something's wrong."

Daryl exhaled sharply.  He was clearly growing more annoyed by the minute. "What can we do about it?" He grumbled. "We don't even know it was them for sure."  He readjusted his grip on his crossbow, holding it tightly as he continued to stalk forward through the tall grass.  "Let's just get back to the highway."

"How much farther?" Astrid asked, staring up through the treetops.  The sun was steadily setting, and they needed to get out of the forest before they were lost to it, too. 

"Not much.  Maybe a hundred yards as the crow flies," Daryl replied from over his shoulder.

"Too bad we're not crows," Andrea muttered, her voice barely audible somewhere behind Astrid. The Lancaster woman managed a tired grin and chuckled lightly under her breath at the sarcastic comment. Andrea returned the smile as she slowed her pace even further, obviously growing more exhausted from the long day's hike.  Astrid soon turned her attention back to Carol and Glenn, walking onward beside them.  As she stepped over a large fallen branch, a chilling scream pierced the air, causing her blood to freeze. "AHHHH!"

Astrid whipped around in alarm. "Andrea?" She yelled.  She frantically scanned the woodland area, but Andrea had vanished from sight. Without a second thought, she bolted back in the direction she had come, pushing past Lori, and darted through the trees in search of her friend who had fallen behind.  Finally, she caught sight of her, sprawled on the leafy ground, struggling against a relentless walker, death inching closer with every passing second. "No!" Astrid cried.

Summoning every ounce of courage, Astrid sprinted forward, her hand gripping the hilt of her machete as she charged toward the snarling walker.  Just as she neared the fallen Andrea, a massive figure emerged from the trees to their left, swiftly taking down the threatening undead before Astrid could do it herself.  The Lancaster woman's heart raced as strong arms wrapped around her from behind, effectively pulling her away from the newfound danger. She turned to see Glenn, his eyes fierce, sheltering her from harm.