𝐥𝐢𝐯. 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐢𝐭𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟

[ liv

[ liv. even death itself ]

july 11th, 2011

➸➸➸

ASTRID QUIETLY PLACED AN empty bottle on the steel tabletop, her fingers trembling ever so slightly, as she continued to rock Judith back and forth in her arms. The woman sat alone in the dimly lit cell block, the feeble light revealing the lines of exhaustion etched on her face. In a world wracked by chaos and terror, the sight of the innocent infant in her arms was a delicate oasis of beauty and hope. Judith Grimes was a rare beacon of light in an overwhelmingly bleak world.

However, an unshakable shadow still loomed over Astrid's joy. Her heart now seethed with anger at Daryl and Rick. She had discovered that morning that they were planning to sacrifice Michonne to the Governor. It was a decision that tore at the very core of her being. Just two days prior, Rick had engaged in negotiations with the Governor, and that had formed a truce of sorts. But the cost of this supposed peace was the life of Michonne. Out of human decency—and respect for her newest friend—Astrid Lancaster downright refused to accept this vile bargain and vowed to do everything within her power to sway Daryl and Rick otherwise.

Astrid gazed down at baby Judith, whose wandering blue eyes met her own. "Do you think this is right?" She whispered, in a coo, to the infant. "If the Governor had wanted you, Rick would have killed that man on sight." Judith remained silent, staring up at Astrid as she continued her impassioned wonderings. "Michonne is a good person. This group is good. We aren't the ones to sacrifice people. Don't you agree?"

Judith responded with gentle gurgles, and Astrid released a tired breath. She continued to rock the infant back and forth until she succumbed to slumber. With great care, Astrid rose from her seat and placed Judith in a newly acquired crib, a gift from Carl and Michonne, who had ventured out on a recent supply run. Astrid recognized that Michonne's willingness to procure baby supplies was proof of her dedication to the group. Choosing to put the Grimes children before herself, she was as invaluable as any other member.

Returning to her seat at the table, Astrid's fingers closed around a nearby box of ammunition, her movements deliberate as she began loading weapons for the impending battle that loomed on the horizon.

"Ain't no way."

From above, a voice muttered softly, and Astrid's gaze instinctively darted upwards to the catwalk. There, Merle Dixon stood, his eyes focused on a yellow, dusty window that framed a world marred by darkness.

Astrid addressed Merle with a lifted brow. "What is it?" She asked.

Merle turned toward her, tone laced with resignation. "Nothin'," He huffed. "We got any whiskey?"

Astrid rolled her eyes. "If there was any, I'd probably be the one drinking it right about now," She replied.

A snicker escaped Merle's lips as he continued to stare out the window. "I still can't figure out what my brother sees in you," He admitted. "No offense, darlin'. I'm just bein' honest here. Daryl ain't the type to open up to anyone but me. Yet, now, here you are. What did you do to make him open up? What makes you so different from the rest?"