𝐥𝐯. 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐞𝐫

[ lv

[ lv. killing gets easier ]

july 12th, 2011

➸➸➸

TODAY WAS THE DAY.

Today, the lives of Astrid Lancaster and her group hung in the balance. The impending war with Woodbury had cast a long shadow over their sanctuary, and they now braced themselves for the inevitable onslaught. Every spare second was devoted to shoring up their defenses, turning the prison into a formidable fortress.

On the eve of battle, Astrid, Glenn, and Maggie were chosen to guard the frontline, stationed above the courtyard to execute a lethal ambush. Below, in the foreboding tombs, the others would lay in wait, their own presence a silent trap and promise of retribution. Meanwhile, the vulnerable—Carl, Hershel, Beth, and baby Judith—would remain concealed in the outskirts of the surrounding forest, biding their time until the fighting had passed.

"Is this too loose?" Maggie asked, yanking Astrid from her thoughts. She fastened the riot gear vest carefully onto the Lancaster woman's frame.

"It's fine," Astrid responded as she donned the riot gear's padded pants, securing the arm and leg guards. Fully clad in the armor of war, she stood ready for the Governor's assault. It then became her turn to assist Maggie. The atmosphere hung heavy as Astrid worked diligently, pulling the straps tight.

After a moment, Maggie swallowed awkwardly, her gaze fixed on a familiar face emerging into the courtyard. "How's Daryl?" She asked softly.

Astrid's countenance darkened, her fingers freezing in place over a buckle. "I don't know," She admitted. "He wouldn't say a word the entire way back. He wouldn't let me help bury Merle either. And last night, he didn't come to bed. I don't think he got any sleep. He's not coping well, and I don't know what to do."

"He's grieving," Maggie explained, gently pulling away as Astrid completed fastening her vest. "Just think about it, he finally got his brother back, only to lose him again. You have to expect this kind of reaction from him. He's not made of stone, Astrid."

"I know that," Astrid grumbled, frustration lacing her words. "But I've never seen him like this. He's never ignored me or avoided me like this before. I want to help him, but I just don't know how."

"Go talk to him," She suggested.

Astrid hesitated, her brows furrowing deeply. "And say what?" She returned. "Maybe it's best if I just give him space."

"Go talk to him," Maggie reiterated firmly, her hands resting on Astrid's shoulders as she urged her forward. "Now."

Rolling her eyes, Astrid complied, sidestepping Rick, who was engrossed in a tense exchange with a resentful Carl. She crossed over to Daryl, who sat on the ground beside his motorcycle, sorting his belongings. Her fingers gently threaded through his hair, offering a comforting touch. "You ready for today?" She asked softly.