Chapter One - Empty Victories

And you can aim for my heart, go for blood 

                        But you would still miss me in your bones                                                                                         - my tears ricochet by Taylor Swift

Mare

Prisoners aren't usually bridesmaids.  Brides don't usually smile at a woman their groom loves.  Manacles usually aren't clothed in silk, chaining an honored guest whose weakened frame has become impossible to hide.

But Maven has always had an unusual attachment to me.

His flamemakers click on, yielding a spark he strengthens into a flame in his palm. Opposite him, Iris condenses a watery sphere of the same size.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife."

Iris extinguishes his fire with a hiss, a smirk tugging her lips.  Nymphs always triumph over Burners.  It disappears once they kiss, however brief and passionless.  Princesses do not marry for love.

Neither do kings.

He should know better than to look.  He won't like what he finds.  But his eyes drift towards me anyway, as if there was no distance between us, as if Maven and I were the only people in the room.

What emotion would hurt the most?  The hollow eyes of a broken promise?  Or the benevolent smile of a girl who will never love him again?

I settle for an eye roll.

At my left, Evangeline chuckles.  Her gown may gleam whiter than the bride's, but she's in no hurry to switch places.  She nestles against her brother, razors of her dress brushing against his hand.  I hope it draws blood.

Thunder booms.  The air crackles with electricity, and everyone turns to stare at me.  But this is not my storm.

In the distance, blue lightning cracks across the sky.  Green joins it, striking closer.  Iris raises her hands, droplets of water condensing to form a thin shield above the guests.  A white bolt strikes it, sizzle brilliant as a wedding cake.

I want to taste it.

"I'll take her."  Evangeline's hand closes around my wrist.  "You've never been good at combat, and you'll do worse with a prisoner slowing you down."

Maven hesitates, gaze lingering on her pearly white dress.  "Let her go."

"Excuse me?"

"Let her go."  He extends his hand, not to Evangeline, but to me.  "She'll slow you down, when we need you to fight these vermin.  They won't get their hands on her."  His palm clasps on mine like the lid of a tomb.  "I will ensure it."

"With all due respect, Your Majesty."  Ptolemus joins his sister, inclining his head.  "Your safety is our highest priority.  I know you are a compassionate man--"  I suppress a snort.  "--and you don't wish to endanger your subjects.  But my sister and I are honored to serve, and it would pain us greatly were you harmed by a job which should've been ours."

"Interesting."  Maven's eyes narrow.  "Would it pain you to know I'd be on the train already had you not argued with me?  Release her.  Or I'll reconsider the placement of Samos in my court."

A razor darts from Evangeline's dress to his neck.  "We don't take orders from you."

"Traitors."  His throat bobs.  "My brother will net you nothing, not glory, not riches, and certainly not a throne.  Will this be your legacy?"