Chapter Twenty Four - Into the Fire

Second, third and hundred chances                                                                                  Balancing on breaking branches                                                                                        - exile by Taylor Swift ft Bon Iver

Mare

"Could you repeat that, darling?  I'm not sure he understood."  Maven leans forward, savoring the horror creeping onto Cal's face.  "At least, I presume that's why his mouth hangs open like a particularly stupid fish."

I stare Cal in the eye.  "Speaking to a mirror would be appropriate, considering your inability to amend your terms.  No competent man would have assumed them reasonable.  Don't posture to us."

He hardens.  "So there's an 'us' now, is there?"

"Of course there is."  Maven chuckles.  "Lovers often act as a united front."

Iris coughs.  "We're married."

"Yes."  He gives her a pointed look. "We are."

Crap.  Shouldn't have thrown her name around this morning.  "Darling, I think we're getting off track."

"Are we?  You're the one who interjected."  Cal's eyes narrow.  "If you have something to say, say it."

Maven holds my hand aloft like a prized jewel.  "Don't hold back.   You've been waiting for this opportunity for months."

Farley rolls her eyes.  If his posturing annoys me, she must be plotting his death as we speak.

My nails dig into his palm.  He better hold his end of the bargain.  "If you don't understand how negotiation works, shut up.  The adults are talking."

"I agree."  Queen Cenra rises from her seat, and the tension rises with her.  "Let the adults speak."

Her voice ripples through the room, slicing through any retort I might throw at her.  She's been queen for longer than I've been alive.  Longer than Cal's been alive.  She was crowned in the same era as Tiberias VI, without a Merandus to alter her reign.

"Did you have something to add, Your Majesty?"  Maven is unfazed.  "You've been silent awhile."

"Nothing has been worthy of my time thus far.  All you've done is bicker and moan."

"Yes."  Maven sighs.  "My brother has been quite unprofessional."

"You're the one who keeps insulting me."

"Weren't we discussing a treaty?"  If he draws this out any longer, I'm going to scream.  "Not surrender, necessarily, but some terms we mutually agree on."

"No.  Pretty sure this meeting's about your personal drama."  Evangeline snorts.  "By all means, continue.  It's hilarious."

"Evangeline."  I turn to her, shifting my sleeve to reveal a familiar bracelet.  "We were on poor terms last we met.  Allow me to rectify that."

"He gave it to you."  She twitches.  "Elane sends her regards."

"A gift."  I unclasp it from my wrist.  "From one princess to another."

Maven rolls his eyes.  Good.  Let him think this a meaningless mind game.  I don't need him looking closer, close enough to see the paper peeking between the metal strands.

We've already too much to punish each other for.

Evangeline accepts it after a moment's hesitation, clipping it on with a haughty snort.  "I have twice the claim to royalty that you do.  More so."