Chapter Thirty Seven - Family Matters

Mare

"I'm disappointed." Cenra steps forward, shaking her head. "But not surprised. Even the most vigilant can fall prey to manipulation." She sighs. "Congratulations, Miss Barrow. You must be quite pleased with yourself."

I scoff. "Your daughter has free will."

The air shimmers, growing denser as she extends a hand. "I shouldn't have enabled this. You're nothing but trouble." Her fist clenches. "Begone."

My chest tightens, mouth growing dry as salvia leaves my tongue to collect in my throat. I double over. No. Not like this.

"Stop." Iris flicks her wrist, and I can breathe again. "Please. You don't have to--"

"I'm sorry." Cenra sighs. "Leave. I don't want to hurt you."

"Neither do I."

"Iris."

"I'm not letting you kill her." A stream condenses in her hands, curling up around us both. "Please. There's no reason--"

Cenra points to the ground, where Tiora still lays. "We have plenty."

Pause.

I hold my breath.

"Tiora will be fine." Iris draws back. "She'll wake in a few minutes, completely unharmed, and we'll never have to mention it again. Please. Maven won't bargain for her. It was a mistake to bring her here, and every second we waste keeping her confined is a chance for someone to wreak vengeance on her behalf."

He won't--No. Focus. "Your daughter is right."

"Silence." A tendril snakes around my mouth. "I'm sorry, mon amora, but it's for your own good. You'll understand that someday."

Iris wavers. Her eyes dart to mine, squeezing shut. "I'm sorry." Her fists clench. "I wish it didn't have to be this way."

It happens in slow motion.

One moment, the tendril is tight around my waist. The next, it loosens, enough for me to slip to the opposite wall. Cenra startles. "Iris! Stop this nonsense!"

She steps in front of me. "I won't."

A beat passes.

Neither Cygnet has noticed Rosalie at the door, one hesitant foot in the hallway. There's no point in joining her. Even if I reached the tunnels, there's no way I could make the journey manacled. "We need the keys."

"Do you?" Cenra twitches. "Would you have my daughter strike me for them?"

Iris looks away. "Would you ensure I must?"

Stillness.

I can't read the expression on Cenra's face. She's always looked at me as though I weren't a person, but a cog in an infinite machine. Something has broken that illusion. Something in Iris' eyes has made the mother stronger than the queen.

A crack ripples through the room, a thunder too fierce and sudden to be natural. White light floods the window, tingling down my spine. Lightning.

Cenra gapes at the manacles still fastened to my wrists. "How--?"

My whisper, soft and lethal. "I warned you he'd come for me."

She staggers to the door, but Iris pulls her back. "No. I won't let you kill her, but you're not fighting the Rift alone."

"Iris." Cenra softens. "You truly care for this girl?"

"I--" She looks away. "I don't know what I feel. But I know defending our home is more important than revenge on a man who might not even be alive."

"Hmm." Cenra slips the key into her hand. "Be quick. I don't want her roaming the halls."

The manacles clatter to the floor and I nearly collapse beside them. Rosalie hauls me to my feet. "Don't give up now. You're so close."

Iris walks behind us in silence as we enter my room. Her hand brushes mine, a dizzying mistake which might have brought me to my knees had Rosalie not steadied me. "You stay put while I get the hatch."

"Quickly. I don't know how much longer our shields will last." Iris settles beside me, softening. "What happened back there--"

"I can't believe you'd fight your mother for me." The words tumble out in a breathless rush, reckless, exhilarating, and far too soon. "You--"

She looks away. "I was bluffing."

"Still. It was more than I expected. I--You could come with us." The plea flees my mouth before I can stop it. A silly thought. There's no place for her in Maven's court anymore. But I can't bring myself to take it back. "You could."

Iris hesitates, shaking her head. "I won't leave my home undefended."

Rosalie pokes her head from the closet. "It's time."

I force myself to look her in the eyes, at the storm clouds that will never rain for me again. "I guess this is goodbye."

"I suppose so." My heart accelerates as her palm caresses my cheek. "I understand why the Calores fought over you." Iris presses her lips to mine. "Lightning Girl."

A/N: Done.  Finally.  Evangeline next