Epilogue

I had a feeling so peculiar                                                                                                                        - evermore by Taylor Swift

Mare

It takes a while.

Everyone treats me with kid gloves the first few weeks.  No questions. No accusations. No apologies for any unsavory comments outside my earshot. I might as well never have left.

But in time, things settle to normal. People accept my explanations and move on, more concerned with negotiating Norta's new government than grilling me on my loyalties. Most do, at least. A few letters requesting interviews trickle in, curious to learn about Norta's first and only red consort.

But there's only one person I want to talk to.

Farley trudges into the room, plopping onto the couch without looking at me. Silence hangs between us, heavy as leaded steel. She won't meet my eyes.

"Hey."

No response.

"The letters--"

"I don't care." She cuts me off. "They weren't of much use anyway. It was old information, stuff we already knew. I--" A breath. "I'm just glad you're home."

Gisa insists on coming with me, a needle clutched between her fingers. There's countless more in her purse, I'm sure, with pins and shears and seam rippers for company. At least I talked Bree and Tramy out of joining.

I wrap an arm around her, grinning. "Have you been taking lessons from Farley?"

"Kilorn says we should grind him into fish bait." Gisa scowls. "I agree."

"The fish wouldn't eat him." A black transport comes into focus on the road, and I wave it down. "Do you have any idea what he tastes like?"

She shudders. "I don't want details."

The transport halts in front of us, the windows rolling down to reveal the chauffeur. "Cal? I didn't know you could drive."

"He can't," Maven groans from the backseat. "We almost crashed thirteen times."

Iris steps out, gesturing for us to get in. "He had a heart attack every five minutes. It was amusing."

"I hate you."

I plop down next to Iris. Gisa takes shotgun, but not before brandishing her needle. "I've sewn leather with this."

He wrinkles his brow. "Is that impressive?"

"It's a lot thicker than human skin."

He chuckles. "If I need stitches, I'll let you know."

"I'll put you in stitches."

"Gee, calm down." I clasp Iris's hand, snuggling against her. "Threatening Maven is my job. Go pick on Cal or something."

Maven pokes the seat in front of him. "Yeah, go pick on Cal."

"I'm driving."

I grin. "Exactly. Let's give Maven another heart attack; I wanna see that shit."

He glares at me, eyes widening as he realizes who I've intertwined myself with. Iris smirks, stroking my hair with one hand. "Is something the matter?"

He looks away.

"Last I heard, you were dead." Cal keeps his eyes trained on the road. "What happened?"