Chapter Twenty - Delicious Cruelty

I never sent for love, I never had a heart to mend                                     Because before the start began, I always saw the end                                             I wait for you to open up, to give yourself to me                                                            But nothing's ever gonna give, I'll never set you free                                                               Yeah, I'll never set you free                                                                                                          - Starring Role by Marina and the Diamonds

Lightning Girl.

No one has called me that in a long time.  Not since I was a fugitive, and even then, it was Little Lightning Girl.  A taunt, not a title.

"What are you thinking about?" Maven is at my neck again.  His breath hitches as he marks another hickey beneath my collar.  We didn't meet last night, and I suppose he wants to make up for lost time. "You're blushing."

It was like standing in the eye of a storm, I the lightning and her the rain.  Maybe it had been foolish to reach out.  Our differences are not to be compromised.  But I saw myself reflected in her rage, and I couldn't stand idle.

"You in handcuffs."

It's his turn to blush. "I'll see what I can do."

"Ahem." She's here again.  She's here, and she can see me flushed against Maven and his possessive, possessive tongue. "Can you not do this in the throne room?"

He sticks his head out from behind the curtain. "No one told you to be here."

"And?"

"You could leave."

Iris studies her nails. "I could. But I shan't."

"Later." I pat Maven's shoulder with a wink.  My eyes skate past his to linger on her frame, muscled and soft, enhanced by her blue silk gown.

He notices.

"Yes." Maven squeezes my hand and doesn't let go. "We will talk later."

"About the handcuffs?"

He kisses me, soft and slow, hands drifting below my waist.  He might fuck me right here, right now, if it would make her stay away.  I don't know if I should be amused or horrified.  I doubt he knows either.

Iris coughs. "I'm still here."

"You are."

"I'm not leaving."

"Shame." Maven lets go, straightening his collar. "You're a terrible audience."

Iris snorts. "Would you rather I were a participant?  I do love to disappoint."

He would never allow it, but if he did . . . oh.  To weave her hair betwixt my fingers.  To kiss her composure away and glimpse what lies underneath.  To love another without regret or remorse, lay bare my heart as a present instead of a weapon.

Colors.  What is it with me and Silver royals?

"Did you have something to request, or do you consider it your duty to ruin my fun?"

"That is my duty. But yes." She thrusts an envelope into his hands. "I have been reduced to your messenger.  Everyone else was too scared to disturb you.  Be grateful I didn't shred it."

His eyes narrow. "Have you shredded letters to me before, Wife?"

"I might if you don't stop treating me with reproach.  I secured us that Piedmont alliance.  Do not claw the hand that shields you."