Chapter Eight - Little Prince

I can't breathe and I can't smile                                                                                                                               This better be worth my while                                                                                             - Numb by Marina and the Diamonds

Iris

I don't know what led me down here.  Mother warned me not to indulge my curiosity, that it would grow fat and demanding, savoring my mistakes like a ripe persimmon.  Still, the dim, foreboding dungeon entrance beckons me, drawing me down one step after the other until I'm face to face with a caged figure.

I know one Calore brother.  Why not meet the other?

"Who are you?"  Tiberias Calore keeps his distance, hand where his flamemaker bracelets used to be.  "Is Maven too scared to taunt me himself?"

"How rude."  I run a finger along the bars.  "Is that how you greet royalty?"

"Iris Cygnet."  He says my name like it tastes of bile.  A war general before a king, he must know me as an enemy first and a fellow Silver second.  "Welcome to the Calore family."  He bows his head.  "My condolences."

I laugh.  "Mother always said I had a good head on my shoulders.  She didn't mention if they were attached."

He pales.

"Your cage isn't as nice as hers."  I breathe in the bare furnishings, the unforgiving stone, the pitiful dimensions.  "His obsession must not extend to you in the same way."

"I hope not."  His face clouds.  "Is she alright?"

"It's quite a lovely cage, gilded and cushioned for a beloved pet.  A stable fit for a prized Mare."  I chuckle.  "Was that good?  I heard you like puns."

"Is.  She.  Alright."

"It was good.  Admit it."  I extend a hand through the bars, but he doesn't take it.  "Sulking is for children, Little Prince.  I shan't answer your question if you don't give me reason."

"Six months."  He slumps.  "Six months of searching, praying, crying, screaming, pacing, worrying, endless worrying, worrying that consumes my thoughts and dreams until my nightmares are the same as my days.  Spare me the mind games."

I draw back.  "My husband didn't speak much of you.  I see why."

"He said he and Mare--"  He falters.  "She--That--"

"That they fucked?"

He flinches.  "Yes."

"He disappears into her room at night.  I presume they aren't cuddling."

"Did--?"  He closes his eyes.  "Did he force her?"

My head tilts.  "I hadn't considered that.  I don't listen outside their door, you know.  It's possible."  I sigh.  "But unlikely.  He holds her at arm's length, and the only moves he's made are ones she's dared him to.  I suppose I should thank her."

His gaze burns.  "You should do more."

"Perhaps.   She's got too firm a grasp on him, but nothing I've tried has pulled them apart.  Whatever his mother did, it cannot be undone."  I glide to the bars.  "You lived with her.   Tell me, what was it like?  She was so cruel to her son; she must have been a monster to her stepchild."

"None of your business."

"You're no fun."  I purse my lips.  "Still, I'm glad Barrow disposed of her.  I would not have liked wrestling with her.  Nor Evangeline.  If only I'd grabbed hold of his leash before she did."

"My brother is not a dog."

I chuckle.  "I suppose you're the one in a cage."

"Why are you here?"  Tiberias towers over me.

"Curiosity.  Stupidity.  Who knows?"  My hands shake.  "He threatened me.  He threatened me, his queen, a Lakeland princess, the key to this alliance, over a prisoner.  I've had to take over so many of his duties, and he still moons over her like a lost puppy!"

He shrugs.  "If you came for sympathy, I have none."

It stings far more than it should.

"You married him.  You should've known what you were getting into."

I sigh.  "Are you always this presumptuous?  I had no choice.  Father arranged the terms without my input, declaring it an honor.  He had made me more than his daughter."  Vapor shimmers with my rage.  "I became an alliance."

A beat passes.  "Are you happy, Iris?"

"Since when have Silvers cared for happiness?"

"I'm not most Silvers."

"Correct.  You associate with rats."

He scoffs.  "You believe that nonsense?"

"Nonsense?  It is the foundation of our society.  It is bound in our institutions, our laws, our diplomatic relations."  I clutch my gown.  "If you don't believe that, what can you believe?"

"I don't.  Ask anyone."  Tiberias retreats into the darkness, his eyes gleaming like molten bronze.  "I waver on the line, unsure where to fall.  I want peace.  I want justice.  The balance is delicate and fragile, and it does no good to trample it in pursuit of one's principles."

"You and I are very different."  I climb onto the steps.  "And you are quite boring."

"Iris Cygnet."

I halt.

"You didn't answer my question."

"Little Prince, I am a queen.  I don't owe you anything."

"Me, no.  But what about yourself?"  The air prickles.  "Are you happy, Iris?  Will marriage to my brother be fulfilling?  Will you spend the rest of your days knowing you made the right decision?"

I don't bother responding as I disappear into the night.

A/N: Click the star if you liked!