Chapter Twenty Six - Wildest Nightmares

Be careful making wishes in the dark                                                                        Can't be sure when they've hit their mark                                 - My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light 'Em Up) by Fall Out Boy

Mare

Maven holds me to his chest in silence, kissing me in lieu of an answer.  His arms poise to sweep me off the ground, but I swat them away.  "No."  I grit my teeth.  "Not in front of everyone."

He strokes my hair.  "You have nothing left to hide."

"You're not my prince charming.  Don't act like it."

"Am I your villain?  I can live with that."  He caresses my cheek.  "Provided I'm your only villain."

"I make no promises."

"She doesn't love--"

"We're not arguing about this."  I scowl.  "Let's go already.  And stop asking questions you don't want the answers to."

His eyes flare.  "Stop giving me reasons to ask them."

Neither of us yields as we step onto the boat, an inconspicuous wooden vessel built for secrecy and speed.  "Magnetrons," he'd explained this morning.  "Let's not stick ourselves in a metal cage."

"Clever," I'd replied.  "But there's nothing you can do about the ocean. It doesn't care about your political position.  It has no loved ones to take hostage.  It won't fall for your attempts to convince it it's secretly a puddle.  All you can do is not think about it."  I'd flashed my teeth.  "You're not thinking about it, are you?"

I proceeded to remind him of the various ways he shouldn't be thinking about it on the ride here.  I ought to remind him again.  And again.  And again.

In case he forgets.

I poke his shoulder.  "Remember, never--"

"I know where your manacles are."

I yank his collar.  "Are you sure?  You're very good at losing things."  My fingers dig into his hair, clawing at the vulnerable roots.  "You might misplace me."

He scoffs.  "It was a table, Mare. Were you afraid it'd have uncomfortable chairs?"

My hands creep to his neck, lingering, molding themselves to the curve of his throat.  His expression is delicious, a heady mix of terror and arousal.  "You wouldn't."

"Try me."

"Ahem."  Iris leans against the doorframe.  "Am I interrupting?"

"Yes," Maven growls.

"Good."  She takes my hand.  "Mother would like to meet with you."

Maven pries her fingers off, pulling me closer.  "She's my consort, not yours."

Iris snorts.  "You can't go five minutes without touching her?"

"If anything, she's touching me."

"Good point."  I pat his head, laughing as he sputters incoherently.  My fingers clasp around the doorknob.  "I have better things to do."

Maven grips my shoulder.  "It's a trap.  Cenra has nothing to lose and you have nothing to gain.  All she'll do is interrogate you.  Or worse."  He stares at the floor.  "She might repeat what she said to me to your face."

I still.  No.  I don't have time.

The door closes before he can follow as the boat lurches in time to my ever-increasing heartbeat.  Queen Cenra is not the lovestruck king I'm used to dealing with.  It would be dangerous to ignore her.