Chapter Fourteen - To Tear a Rift

I want direction (ooh ooh)                                                                                                            I wanna feel human again                                                                                                          Lost my direction (ooh ooh)                                                                                                  I wanna feel human again                                                                                                       - To Be Human by Marina

Iris

When will people learn to leave me alone?

Ever since I've arrived, they've swarmed me with their questions and favors. How was your journey, Your Highness? Does your mother know you've defected? Will you and Tiberias wed before or after he's crowned? Did Maven scorn you for his red whore?

It's a miracle I haven't slaughtered them.

Evangeline lurks in my periphery, reveling in my misery. What a waste of Silver blood. No ambition but spite, a hollow vessel from which unpleasantness comes. If only she'd stop pointing it my direction.

"Displeased with your fan club?" She slinks from the shadows, clad in metal plates that slither on her hips like a snake. "Pity. It takes an iron will to bear the duties of a queen."

"Thankfully I'm not a queen anymore. And neither are you." I breeze past her, but she follows. "No, wait. You were never crowned."

"Strange. You may speak with confidence, but your actions don't match." She strokes a silver bangle, an overdesigned eyesore of edges and points. "As far as Norta knows, you've been spooked into hiding by an overambitious rat."

A Cygnet should not have nerves to strike. But if she does, it should never be apparent. "I don't make hasty decisions. Is your ego fragile enough to be ruined by gossip?"

"Enough arrogance. Let's settle this like Silvers." Evangeline flashes her teeth. "The arena will suffice. Don't you agree?"

I don't have time for this. "Tomorrow."

"Yes." Her eyes gleam. "Tomorrow."

I have a visitor.

She knows better than to hide herself. Her knocks are faint and unsteady, and I wait a minute before answering. "No escort. Curious. Evangeline did not strike me as a coward."

Elane fidgets. "She didn't send me."

I begin closing the door. "I forgave you. Leave."

"You misunderstand." Her foot slides in front of the frame. "I have a favor to ask."

"Make it quick."

She doesn't flinch. Her glide is seamless, silk rustling as she nestles in the chair opposite mine. "It would be gauche to demand leniency from one so titled and gracious." Her lips curve. "Though I've always been prone to push my limits."

"I consider it my hobby." I tap my fingers. "Enough games. What do you want?"

"She's too proud to explain herself." Elane looks me in the eye. "So I shall do so in her stead."

Strength does not always manifest as muscled limbs and iron crowns. Sometimes the most impressive feats are small mercies, visible to none but yourself.

"Rumors have been circulating. I presume you've already heard?" She tilts her head. "The Rift and Norta are to be wed."

"I won't take her place." My voice is steely. "My misery is not to be bartered for."