Twenty Three - Silent Bargain

Blow all my friendships                                                                                                 To sit in hell with you                                                                                               - The Lourve by Lorde

"Two columns: Up for negotiation, and not."  I draw a line down the middle, hand trembling. Maven may have been stunned into silence, but that doesn't mean the rest of the room will cooperate.  "I assume the throne goes in the latter.  Unless I am mistaken."

"Absolutely not." Anabel sniffs. "My grandson is not intent on giving up his birthright.  Tell that boy of yours he may wear a crown, but that does not make him king."

"You have two grandsons."  He can't resist.

"Do I?"

"Apologies.  I forgot your son died by the edge of Cal's sword."  Maven chuckles.  "Perhaps he should have thought ahead."

Iris sighs.  "That pun was terrible.  Make a better one."

"Let's not."  Cal grits his teeth.

"What of the occupation of the Rift?  The treatment of reds?"  I tap my pen.  "There must be a compromise we can reach."

"Reds are not our concern.  That we agree on."  I hate this woman already.  She dismisses me with a hand.  "Pick a relevant subject, or don't speak at all."

"Interesting.  Would your allies agree?"  I gesture to Farley and Davidson.

She twitches.  "We have an arrangement."

"Hmm."  I purse my lips.  "Could you stand against us without their help?  Can you afford to make them angry?  Because if I were you, I wouldn't be so blatant."

Premier Davidson gives me a curious look.  Farley pinches her face, fists clenched.  I'll need to fight harder to regain her goodwill.

Queen Cenra sighs.  "You do not speak for the Lakelands.  I, for one, have no regard for placating insects."

"I never claimed to.  Not once did I offer a Lakeland concession."  I smile.  "In fact, I didn't make an offer at all.  Are questions off limits?"

"Enough games."  Maven pins my wrist to the armrest and I'm back, manacled, pressed to his chest as he carries me onto the train.  "Consort, you've had your fun. I will handle the discussion from here."

I will tear his heart from his chest and eat it.  "Pardon.  Did I bind your mouth shut?  Is that why you haven't spoken until now?  I must have, if you were not free to interrupt me at any time."

I shouldn't have mentioned mouths.

He leans closer, smirking.  "Why didn't you say so?"  A hand tilts my chin to his lips, soft as rose petals.  Fitting.  He has so many thorns.  "Think I'll interrupt you more often."

I close my eyes.  Stares burn from every direction, curious, amused, and annoyed alike.  This isn't a gesture of love, but domination.  Everyone can see that.

Even Cal.

Heat pounds my cheeks, but I freeze my expression to a thin line.  My eyes roll.  "Boys."

"As I was saying."  Maven sits down, pressing his arm atop mine.  "The Rift is not negotiating from a position of strength.  The Lakelands and Piedmont far outnumber your forces.  Reconsider your terms, and I might show mercy."

"You forgot Montfort."  I poke him.  "That makes us even.  And we've no idea the extent of the Scarlet Guard."

He turns sharply.  "Consort.  Did I say you could speak?"

I sigh.  "Again?"  With a yank of his collar, my lips hover above his.  "You're subtle as a cat in heat."

Maven stills, breath quickening.  He chokes on his own medicine.  "Takes one to know one," is the best he can manage, pressing our mouths together as his hand snags in my hair.  He tastes like bitter wine.  An acquired taste

Evangeline snorts.  "Get a room."

He ignores her.  Around us, people shift in their seats, caught between moving the discussion along and reveling in Maven's humiliation.  Iris, on the other hand, might snap his neck.

Sense creeps into his brain, as he pulls away, panting.  He smooths his expression into some semblance of dignity, though the damage is already done.  "Well, Brother?  Have you reconsidered your offer?"

I can't avoid it any longer.  Cal burns across from me, a silent accusation bobbing in his throat.  He's half the reason Maven's control slipped, and he must know it.  "Does your life hold no value?"

"Ah.  You're in such a prime position to take it."  Maven cackles.  "What else will you offer?  A new toy?  A warm hug?  A handful of breadcrumbs?  You're so generous, I'm tearing u--No.  Wait."  He rubs an eye.  "Speck of dust."

Cal flinches.  "The rest of court wants me as king.  You can't rely on foreign allies forever."  He softens.  "There's honor in acknowledging you've lost."

"Did you practice that speech in front of a mirror?"

Whatever discussion I'd coaxed from the room has evaporated, silenced by his manacle hands and his kiss and his stupid, petty grudges.  He's wrestled control away from me.

There's one way to get it back.

My hands shake.  It would be cruel.  Whatever feeble bridge he's maintained between us will burn to ashes.  But I've done so many cruel things already.  At least this one will have a purpose.

"Yes."  The mask slides on with startling ease, like a performance I'd rehearsed since birth.   A flash of teeth.  A haughty chin.  A reserved chuckle.  "That would be appropriate, wouldn't it?"

Cal stills.

Maven blinks, unable to contain his surprise.  He shifts his gaze to me, trailing down my arm to my hand as it moves in a careless sweep across the table.

My fingers brush against the columns I've drawn, lingering on a few items a bit longer than necessary.  They settle at his side, below the table, hidden from all who might learn the truth.  He finds them.  And he accepts them.

A silent bargain.

The same bargain we've always struck, ever since he first sought my arms that tear-soaked night.  One we can't stop making, no matter the sacrifice, no matter the heartache, no matter the distance we retreat from salvation.

I use you.  You use me.

And damn the rest of the world for judging.