Chapter 38

Fuli yawned and blinked open her eyes. The newborn sun's rays shone upon the lands. She rubbed her eyes with her paw and stretched - it was time to wake up. Kion appeared to be sleeping peacefully beside her. I hope he stays that way, she thought to herself.

Her wish was not granted. Kion suddenly flinched. He extended his claws and dug them into the dirt. His breathing became heavy, labored. His stomach suddenly started to jerk. Fuli gasped - it was just as swollen as before!

His eyes suddenly snapped open. A single tear fell onto the grass.

"Kion.. Kion..! Are you okay?" Fuli could barely so much as murmur.

Kion shook with fear and quickly got to his paws. He started to run but stopped. He brought his paw up to his stomach, grunting in pain. 

He gagged.

Blood.

More and more blood flooded from his mouth. His stomach kept jerking involuntarily to him and he cried out in pain, only for that cry to be cut short by more blood.

She heard voices behind her. "Oh my Great Kings and Queens!" Makini breathed.

"Oh no!" Bunga cried.

"Hapana!" Ono gasped.

"What's going on?!" Beshte asked in fear. Meanwhile Anga just let out a quiet gasp.

"I don't know!" Fuli replied fearfully. "He just woke up and all of a sudden he started..-" She glanced back at Kion then looked back at the others, "you know!"

"I'll get Nirmala!" Anga took to the sky, searching for the healer lioness.

Fuli looked at Kion who was still coughing up blood. His eyes were wild and fearful. He tried to breath, but it was cut off by more blood. He and Fuli were both beginning to panic even more while Kion tried to catch his breath.

"Kion." Fuli rushed to him and placed her paw on his. "Calm down, okay?" She told him, trying her best to sound reassuring and soothing. "Just calm down. Don't panic." She was trying her best to not go into a panic attack herself.

Kion kept regurgitating. Blood poured everywhere. 

Nothing but blood.

Blood.

And more blood.

"We're back!" A voice cut through the air. Fuli looked up and saw Anga flying towards them, carrying a sack of something wrapped in leaves. Nirmala followed with herbs in her jaws.

"Thank goodness!" Fuli sighed in relief. She stepped aside to let Nirmala see Kion.

"Oh no!" Nirmala mumbled through the herbs. She rushed quickly to Kion and dropped the herbs. Anga flew over to her and dropped the sack of leaves next to her.

"Kion take these fennel seeds," Nirmala ordered urgently. Kion closed his mouth to try to not regurgitate, but blood trickled down the edge of his lips anyway.

Kion shook his head. "I can't," he mumbled.

"Try," Nirmala told him firmly.

Kion shook his head.

"You have to." Nirmala's voice turned almost pleading.

Kion shook his head. His stomach suddenly jerked again and he was forced to open his mouth. He whipped his head to the side to avoid Nirmala. He gagged more and more.

"Okay, okay." Nirmala walked over to his side. She sat down and used her front paws to gently and tenderly flip him over on his side. She rubbed his stomach soothingly in circular motions.