Chapter 12

Kion blinked open his eyes. It was morning. Something didn't feel right. His throat was sore and he felt nauseous. His fur was damp with sweat as he realized that his body was overheated. He felt a throbbing pain in his scar, unlike the ones he felt before. He saw Fuli walking around the small cave they were in. He noticed Gozi wasn't there.

"Where is Gozi?" He rasped. Fuli turned to look at him. "He was restless, I told him to go run around in the grasslands, but to make sure to stay out of Swift's Clan and the Sun Pride territory." Fuli then walked up closer to him. "Something's wrong Kion," she observed. "You don't look... normal." She has a way of knowing when something is wrong. Kion admitted to himself. Kion's throat hurt when he talked, so he motioned with his paw to his scar. Fuli looked sympathetic.

All of a sudden Gozi rushed in the den, faster than a lightning bolt. "Woo hoo!" He exclaimed. He turned around and sped out, accidentally kicking dust in Kion's face. He groaned. He could tell Fuli was trying her best not to laugh. A wave of lightheadedness swept over Kion. He covered his head with his paws. Fuli walked over to him and put her paw up to his head. All of a sudden she jumped back, shocked.

"Kion you need to rest," she told him. Kion shook his head. "How do you know what-" He was interrupted by Fuli. "Your scar's bothering you, you have a sore throat, you feel nauseous, and you feel lightheaded. You need to rest," she told him firmly. How does she know what I'm feeling?! "Fine," he half rasped, half groaned. Just then, Gozi rushed into the den, gasping for breath. "So... so... tired," he said through gasps. "Maybe... shouldn't have ran... so much." He then over exaggerating, flopped down in the ground. Fuli tried to stifle a laugh. "All cheetahs learn that the hard way," she told him, amusement audible in her voice.

Kion closed his eyes to go to sleep, but he couldn't. Apparently Fuli thought he was asleep, because she started to talk about him to Gozi.

"I'm worried for him," Kion heard her say. "His scar is making things very hard for him. I told him to rest while you were out running in the fields. He now feels as if he has some sort of serious fever." "As soon as he feels a little bit better we can continue the journey to... uh... what was it again? Oh yeah, the Tree of Life," Gozi said enthusiastically. There was a silence that could have lasted a few moments or hundreds of years.

"Gozi... maybe he can't. It might be too late," Fuli told him. "This might be his last few days." Gozi gasped at Fuli's statement. Although Kion couldn't see it, as his eyes were closed, he knew there were tears being shed at that moment. Kion started to feel himself drifting off to sleep, but the last words he heard before he left reality and entered dreamland were: "I have faith, faith in Kion. He will survive."

XXXX 
Kion woke up once again that day. He had a weird feeling in his stomach. He was even more nauseous than before. He looked around the den and saw Fuli grooming herself. Gozi was nowhere to be seen. He's probably outside running around again. Sure enough, he could hear a "Woo hoo" in the distance.

Fuli finished grooming herself and walked over to Kion. "How are you feeling?" She asked him. He opened his mouth to reply, but then there was a spasm in his stomach. He gagged as something started to come up his throat. His pelt burned with embarrassment as to what happened next.

"I'll take that as 'not good,'" Fuli said as she helped Kion to his paws and hurried him outside. They made it outside and Kion crouched down, gagging, his pelt burning with embarrassment.

Ugh! Why did it have to be now when Fuli was watching?! 

XXX