Chapter 60

Fuli advanced on Kion, snarling viciously. Her intimidating emerald eyes seemed to glow in the middle of the night.

"I did everything. EVERYTHING." Her words echoed in his mind so much it made his head hammer. Her claws shined under the dim moonlight of the cave.

Kion was too weak to move out of the way as she lunged, claws extended. He shut his eyes and-

*

Kion's eyes shot open, wide and fearful. He looked around him, immediately figuring it was just a nightmare. He saw Fuli sleeping close to him and tried to shift away, though even small movement made his neck scream with pain and his head hammer like it was being bashed on rocks.

This was the first time he was truly afraid of her.

Truly afraid.

"Kion?"

Kion flinched back and what little breath he had caught in his throat. He couldn't lift himself up and his fur bristled, on guard.

"Is your breathing okay?"

Why do you wanna know? It's your fault that I have problems now!

"Kion?"

What?!

"Kion, can you hear me?"

What do you mean? Of course I can!

"Kion?! Kion! Can you hear me?!"

Ugh, yes I can! I can't TALK though, thanks to YOU.

"Kion! Are you okay?" Fuli touched her paw to his forehead, touching it gently.

Does it look like I am?'

"Wait, what?" Echoed another voice in his head. "Kion, is that you?"

Fuli?! How are the heck are you in my head?! Kion thought.

"I don't know!" She replied.

Well get out! I don't want you in my thoughts! Kion's thoughts snarled in defense of an underlying fear.

"I don't know how! This must be one of the powers of the Power of the Spirits!"

Kion's body jolted with shock as a realization hit his mind. Fuli's voice no longer echoed his thoughts. He observed that once he moved away from her paw...

"J-Jua... power.... thoughts... hurt...." His breaths came out shaky and thick with fear. It was the first time he spoke since the incident with Fuli. He looked up at the cheetah, trying to hide the fear in his soul with... he didn't know what, but something tough. "Go away," he managed to snarl in the deepest voice he could, though considering he was barely more than a cub, it wasn't that deep.

"I didn't mean to do anything!"

"'Didn't mean to do anything'?!" He shouted, straining his frail voice. "You broke my-" He broke off into a coughing fit, digging his claws into the ground for support. His body began to jerk in many spasms. Kion's eyes stretched wide as his body jerked uncontrollably.

"Kion! KION!"

Then blackness.

Flash!

Fuli blinked open her eyes. She looked around for Kion, half expecting him to be sleeping next to her. Then she remembered, Kion is dead. She would never see him again.

"Wait, what?!" Kion asked. "I'm not dead, I'm right here!"

"Oh Kion...." Fuli trailed off, looking out into the distance and not at the lion in front of her. "You deserved to know everything. You deserved to know about the past." She whispered.