Chapter 24

"Why not?" I growl, crossing my arms.

Adrian mimics my movement. "You're a princess, going to school is pointless and dangerous."

"How is it pointless? For a princess I'm embarrassingly lacking money! A college education will change that."

He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "If it's just about money then you don't need to worry, I have enough for both of us and then some."

I scoff. "I don't want your money, I  want my own."

"Why do you always have to be so difficult?" He mumbles, walking out the room and slamming the door. I smirk in satisfaction, whenever he leaves the room it means I won the argument. Skipping over to the closet I look for something to wear tomorrow.

We've been back for three days now and Adrian and Zander have spent those days reaching out to the other dragon clans to arrange a visit. Adrian fears we'll be needing them sooner rather than later.

These last three days I've spent with Leah whenever she was out of class. I missed Novah and the others but Adrian refused to let me go to school. I can only imagine how far behind I am in my classes. Not to mention my room that's being paid for with no one living in it.

I sigh, falling back on the bed. My life has changed drastically since I came to college. First, I turn into a rare white dragon and find out I have a mate. Next, I find out I'm a long lost princess. Lastly, there's something out there wanting to kill me and I now need dragon guards.

The door opens with a bang, Leah walking in with the biggest grin on her face. "Guess who's going clubbing tonight!"

I scoff. "I'm guessing you and Novah." No way Adrian is going to let me out of his sight, and he's definitely not letting me go to a club alone. Even if it's with Leah, his own sister.

"No," she grins, "I have a plan, and you're going." This is the part of the conversation were I should shoot any idea of hers down as to not upset my crazy mate.

"I'm in." I grin, she squeals, rushing to my closet.

"Now I'll just have to find you something sexy to wear and something for you to use as a decoy."

"What?" I blink. "A decoy?"

"Well you're not going to be able to just walk pass him in a sexy as sin dress." She toss two dresses out. "You'll need a cover up." Pulling out a big sweater, that I'm sure belongs to Adrian, and a pair of night shorts she face me. "This is perfect, it'll cover everything and he'll be distracted by you in his clothes." I arch an eyebrow, damn she's good.

"So what's yours plan?"

"Simple, when it's time to go you'll tell Adrian you want to sit outside for some fresh air. Novah and I will be waiting outside with the car running. You'll run like hell to it and we'll ride off into the night." I take that back, she'd an idiot.

"That'll only end with me hand cuffed to the bed." A shiver goes through me at the idea. Wow, when did I become such a freak? I blame my dragon. She snorts, blinking sleepy eyes at me. I swear all she does is sleep.

"Trust me," she says, handing me one of the dresses she threw out. A royal purple dress that looks knee length with rhinestones on the neckline. Sexy, but not sexy enough to get me in trouble if we're caught. "This plan will work."

-

I pace nervously in the room, stopping to check my reflection in the mirror every two seconds. Leah was right, the dress isn't visible at all. It just looks like I'm getting ready for bed. The only downside is I'll have to put on makeup in the car.

The sound of something smacking the bedroom window jerks me out of my pacing. I walk over slowly peeking out. Leah stands underneath waving her hands wildly. Sliding the window up I peek my head over the ledge. "Get your ass downstairs now!" She whispers/yells.

"I can't! He'll smell how nervous I am!" I call back.

"He'll also hear you." I scream, turning around in fright. Zander smirks, standing in the now open door. I thought I locked it. "Going somewhere?"

"Use your princess card!" Leah calls up. Zander arches an eyebrow, obviously hearing her.

I clear my throat. "No, I'm going outside for fresh air."

"Alright," he shrugs. "You convinced me, I'm in."

I stare at him confused. "What?"

"Whatever it is that you're about to do that'll most likely bring down the wrath of the shadow King on everyone. You can count me in." I just stare. He holds out an arm. "Shall we?" I take it, still confused by the change of events. At least if we're caught I can say he made me. Might get him killed but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

We part ways on the step, Zander choosing to go out the back door. The moment my hand wraps around the handle of the front door, my name is called.

"Where are you going?" Oh God he's on to me! He can see the dress. A bead of sweat forms on my forehead. I take deep breaths, trying to calm myself. Where the hell did he even come from?

Plastering an easy smile on my face, I turn to face him. "Getting some fresh air, considering I've been in the house for three days."

A look of guilt cross his face. He sighs, taking a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, this princess shit has me on edge." I pause, this is the first time he's being open with me. And here I am lying and sneaking out. "The fire clan is refusing our request for a visit." Of course they are, they've been enemies for centuries. And now because of me he has to beg for their help.
I frown, what the hell am I doing? Is a night out really worth stressing him more? "I've decided you're not going back to school." Like a record scratching I stop feeling sorry for him. The bastard wants to control my life.

I force my smile now. "That's fine, I'm going to step outside for a minute." I pull the door open, rushing out before I lose my nerves. I can still feel good eyes on me even as I slam the door shut.

Jogging to the car parked at the end of the driveway I can't help but have a bad feeling about tonight.