Chapter 17

No matter how much I argued with Adrian on finding my own ride, he insisted that he took me. My parents were going to freak. I've only been gone for about a month and already I'm bringing home a guy. And not just any guy, a dragon. That happens to be my mate. Someone I'm stuck with for the rest of my life. Almost the same as marriage, how do you explain to your parents you basically married a guy in me month? I should've taken all five days to think this through.

I bit my nails anxiously, staring out the window. Behind us another black suv followed, full of members of the shadow clan. I was going to protest having so many people come with us, but one look from Adrian had me swallowing it. "Stop that."

My head jerked to the side. "What?"

"You're chewing on your fingers, why are you doing that?" He sounds irritated and confused. I look at my fingers, seeing I've chewed away all my nail and was biting my skin. I didn't even feel it.

"Sorry." His grip tightens on the steering wheel. "What do you plan to say to my parents? You can't just go in and ask them if they're dragons."

"Why not?" He growls out.

I blink. "Because no sane person would do that." And clearly he wasn't all that sane if he thinks that's a good plan.

"There's no reason to tip toe around it. The quicker I get answers the quicker I can leave." I glare at him. It was his idea to come in the first place. So why is he acting like a dragged him from his busy schedule and forced him to come?

"This was your idea." I remind him, gritting my teeth.

"Don't take that tone with me." He responds, a note of warning in his voice.

"Or what?" I arch an eyebrow. He doesn't respond, only griping the wheel tighter. I have a feeling he wishes it was my neck.

When we pull up to my home I'm full of nerves. I noticed Landons car out front and sighed. The last thing I wanted was someone outside of my family witnessing this.

Adrian climbs out the car quickly, slamming the door behind him. The other members of the shadow clan follow salute, three guys. Adrian's personal security, Blake was among them. He grins at me when he sees the look on my face, jogging over. "You look like you're about to shit yourself."

"Language." Adrian warns, like he's never sworn in front of me.

Blake chuckles. "He doesn't want other people to swear in front of you." He winks, I join his laughing. He doesn't want people to curse in front of me? What the hell?

"Shut up." Adrian grabs my arm, pulling me up the steps and away from Blake. "Secure the perimeters until we're done." Blaire nods, all joking leaving him. The three of them spread out in different directions.

"Why are they watching the house? You expecting my home to get attacked?" Did he know something I didn't? As far as I knew the fire dragons have no idea where I live. He ignored my question, banging on the door instead. I give him a pointed look, then pull out my house key.

I'm in the process of unlocking the door, when it swings open. My dad eyes widen when he sees me. "Hailey? What you doing here buttercup?" He reaches out to pull me in for a hug, when he notices Adrian standing like a statue next to me. He stiffens, "Hailey get inside." His hand grips my arm, pulling me through the door and away from Adrian.

I frown, "Dad, what are you doing?" His eyes are hard, staring down Adrian like he's two seconds from attacking.

"Stay away from my daughter." He spits, taking a step forward.

Adrian laughs darkly, his eyes cold and hard. I shiver at the look. It so detached and feral. "You mean my mate?"

My father stiffens, looking at me over his shoulder. I can't explain the look in eyes. It wasn't disappoint, but something more close to fear. "Mr. Brown who's at the door?" I turn, watching Landon come sauntering to the door. My eyes drink him in, roaming his body with purpose. He's gotten more fit since the last time I seen him, blonde hair an inch or two longer. His blue eyes brighter than I remember. He sees me and smiles, dimples appearing. Something inside me purrs. "Hailey, what a lovely surprise."

"Landon." I breathe. That one word does something to him. He pause, eyes scanning my body like it's the first time he's seeing me.

"Hailey? There's something...something different about you."

I shuffle on my feet. Damn, can he tell I'm a dragon now? Of course he can't! My father clears his throat. I look up, but my eyes find Adrian. He's glaring hard at Landon, shadows appearing and disappearing around him like he has no control. That can't be good. "Why don't you let him in father? Then we can all talk." Landon follows my stare, and chuckles.

"Only you would get involve with a dragon." My eyes widen.

"You know about dragons?" I gasp.

Adrian growls, shoving pass my dad and yanking me to him. "Of course they do, they're hunters."

"What?" My head whips in my dad direction. "Hunt what?" Adrian's grip tightened just a fraction.

"Dragons." My mind reels. Landon and my dad hunt dragons? Since when? Does my mom know? Is she a dragon hunter Too?

"Stay and I'll tell you about our family history, but the dragon has to leave." Adrian looks smug and I shoot him a look, which he ignores.

"Which dragon? Me or your daughter?" He grins viciously.

Landon takes a step closer, ignoring the growl from Adrian. "Hailey, what have they done to you?" Before I can answer, he's shoved against the wall by his throat.

Adrian's eyes were pitch black, shadows erupting from him in waves. "Don't ever make the assumption that I hurt my mate." He snarls in his face.

A sharp inhale had me focusing on my dad again. "You mated a dragon?" His voice was full of disappointment, making me frown. It's not like I had a choice.

"Everyone calm down." My mother steps in the hallway, looking from me to Adrian. "Make him calm down Hailey." I scoffed, as if I can control that monster. "Just touch him." She insists.

Shrugging I walk over to Adrian, where he's still choking Landon against the wall. To my surprise Landon looks calm, not at all bothered that Adrian is trying to end his life. "Adrian." I mumble, placing a hand on his shoulder. He stiffens, grip loosening. "Please let him go." He growls loudly, dropping Landon and stepping away from me.

"Everyone come to the living room and I'll explain." My mother says, looking at my father with regret. Whatever she's about to tell us, I have a feeling it'll be news to my father as well.