Chapter 15

Alone in my dorm I thought about what Leah said. If I really have every dragon clans DNA in me then I needed to make a call. My parents have some explaining to do.

The phone rings twice before my mom picks up. "Hailey?" A deep voice that didn't belong to my mother answers.

"Landon?" I pull the phone away from my ear, double checking I dialed the right number. "What are you doing with my mom's phone?" I haven't spoken to him since we got back from our trip. I blush, thinking of the last night we spent together.

"Hailey, thank god you're safe." He sounds relieved.

I grip the phone in my hand, worried with the tone of his voice. "Where are my parents Landon?"

"Shit," He swears. "I didn't mean to alarm you they're fine, they just haven't heard from you. I was worried about you."

A breath of relief leaves me. "Why didn't you just say that? So where's my mom?" I feel like a parot repeating myself.

"Your parents was over for dinner last night and she left her phone, I'm driving now to drop it off. I saw your name pop up and answered." He sighs.

"How far away are you?" I can just stay on the line until he gets there. But did I want to have this conversation with Landon present? He'll probably think I'm crazy talking about dragons. Hell even my parents might.

"About three blocks. Hey, since I have you on the phone I have some good news." His voice raises a notch, like he can't contain his excitement any longer.

"What?" I smile. He has that contagious personality about him, you can't help but feel what he feels.

"I'm getting engaged." I almost drop my phone in surprise. Landon? Engaged? My mind was telling me to be happy for him, but something else wanted to deny his claims. Why aren't I happy for him? I should be. "Hailey?" He calls out when I don't respond.

I frown at my mixed emotions. Landon has been my friend for as long as I can remember, and I've never had these types of feelings about him. He's known to sleep around and I never cared. So why do I feel like he's breaking my heart somehow? "Uh I have to go, class just started."

He's quiet. "At ten pm?" I pull the phone from my face to check the time. Damn it is ten.

"It's a night class." I quickly reply. "Anyways just please tell my mom to call me?" I end the call before he can respond, trying to work out my emotions. First dragon DNA and now I care who Landon dates? Am I in the twilight zone or what?

I groan in frustration, burying my face in the pillow. "Who is Landon?" I scream, jerking up. Only to find the transparent figure of Adrian standing there. "What the hell are you doing here?"

He shrugs, looking around the room. I realize this is the first time he's ever been inside my dorm. I scan the room as well, giving a silent groan at my pile of dirty clothes shoved in the corner. "I came to check on you."

Sitting cross legged I watch him. "Why?"

He pauses, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. "You were freaking out pretty hard earlier. Just making sure you're not being dramatic and trying to kill yourself, thus killing me as well." Of course he only cares about himself.

I spread my arms wide. "Well as you can see I'm well. You can leave now."

"Can I see it again?" He hesitates, taking a step closer to me.

"No."

One perfect brow arches. Something brushes my shoulder, pushing my hair back to reveal the marking. I curse the shadows slithering away. He can still use his dragon magic? Even though he's not here? "What can you tell me about your parents?"

I scowl. "Nothing, because it's none your business."

"Do they have tattoos on their necks?"

"They have a lot of tattoos."

"Why is your hair that color? Has it always been like that?" I groan, frustrated with all his questions. I bury my face in the pillow, hoping he'd go away.

A rush of air hits me when the pillow is snatched away. Adrian is standing next to my bed, a sexy scowl on his face. "Stop acting like a child." He growls, shadows bursting from his back like winks. He starts to disappear even more. "Dammit!"

"What's happening?" He glares at me, then is gone. I shake my head at the whole thing, shadow magic is weird.

-

I wake up in the middle of the night with a terrible feeling in my chest. I hiss in pain, curling into a ball with a painful moan. "Hailey?" Novah jumps out of her bed, squatting next to mine. She pushes a piece of my hair that's slicked with sweat, out of my face. "Gosh you're burning up."

I cry out, the stabbing pain intensifying. "It hurts."

"Where?" She asks, looking helpless. I point to my chest and she freezes. Cursing she pulls out her phone. "Leah, have you spoken to Adrian?" I frown, why is she asking about him.

Suddenly nausea hits me. I lurch forward, emptying my stomach on the side of the bed. Novah finches away. "I think he's with someone." She whispers into the phone, but I hear it loud and clear. Adrian was having sex with someone, and that's what was causing this pain.

My eyes watered and I can't help the sob that leaves me. He cares so little about me that he'd make me go through this pain for his own pleasure.

I scream, rage and pain filling me. How dare he! I never asked for this. Another bolt of pain goes through me, and I feel something moist above my lip. "Holy shit Leah! She bleeding out of her eyes and nose!" She sounds horrified, watching me with unmasked terror. "Please hurry." Ending the call she comes back to my side, stepping over the vomit. "We need to get you in the tub."

I wail in agony, throwing my arms around her. "Why is he doing this to me?" I don't know what hurts more, the feel of him cheating or the knowing.

It's not long before the pain makes me black out.